Neon Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imaginelra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon planted tank with 3 neon tetras, 1 golden alge eater and 2 black kulhi loaches. Last night I noticed that one of the neon tetras was in hiding, is that normal? Today he is swimming funny with his nose to the gravel, like he standing on his nose. Is there something wrong with him or is there anything I could be doing wrong? I checked the ph levels, currently 7.0. I did a water change three days ago and I am stumped as to what is wrong?

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Do you know what species your gold algae eater is?

Also, do you know what your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are?

There is also "neon tetra disease". A link for diagnosis is below.

Neon Tetra

If you could provide us with the other information, we can help you get it narrowed down.

Chances are that a gold algae eater is a Chinese algae eater. They don't eat much algae and they get kind of big and aggressive, especially for a 10g.

I'll also ask for your water parameters.

Neons can be very fragile fish. If they make it for a few months, they'll generally last for a long time. However, many don't make it those first months.

I don't know much about the golden algae eater, when bought him from the pet store I was told that he was common and would not get very big. I have had him for about a month. He is about one inch right now. I used the API 5in1 test kit and everything looked normal, but I have not checked the ammonia levels. I will go to the pet store and get an ammonia test kit and find out what the levels are. I have only had this neon tetra for a week, but the other two I have had for over a month. He seems to be doing a little better when it comes to swimming, he is swimming straight, but he still stays hidden.

Thank you all for the help.

Back
Top Bottom