Neon Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vatilla

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I started a thread earlier about what to house my Betta with, and decided on 5 or 6 Neon Tetras for my 10g filtered and heated tank along with my male Betta Pigg (WHEW! Long sentence!). It's got plenty of hiding places for them, and enough room to swim around. I haven't gotten the fish yet, as I don't have to time to be ever vigilant in case something goes wrong. (Hides for impact of people saying bad idea) :hide: In case something goes wrong I have a much smaller 1g tank that I'll put the Tetras in, and then my friend is going to lend me a temporary 5g tank, then I'll find them a new home.

So, thoughts on this plan? Criticism? Good/bad ideas?

I think you should be fine as long as your betta isn't overly aggressive and will try and nip the tetras once released into the tank.

I think you should be fine as long as your betta isn't overly aggressive and will try and nip the tetras once released into the tank.

:lol: Thanks! He doesn't seem overly aggressive, but I haven't seen him with fish yet, so I guess I'll see! I'm getting the Tetras this weekend or Monday. :dance:

Haha that's cool. Tell me how it goes! Ya, my betta isn't very aggressive... unless it's feeding time of course. He's such a pig! It's kind of annoying -_-

I would try to go with a smaller species of tetra. If you like the neons I would suggest green neons they stay small. There is also ember tetras which I like a lot.

Neons are quite active IMO. There is a really pretty tetra specie called ember tetra , they'll prefer a 10 gallon. :)

I would try to go with a smaller species of tetra. If you like the neons I would suggest green neons they stay small. There is also ember tetras which I like a lot.

I forgot to mention in my description beginning thread thing (Or did I?) that I have a filter, and the filter seems rather strong. Would that be an issue with smaller ones?

What else is in your tank plant of decoration wise?

2 very large plants, 2 smaller ones (all plants plastic), some rocks, a big rock thing with a cliff-like stature and a wheel spinny thing.

Neons are quite active IMO. There is a really pretty tetra specie called ember tetra , they'll prefer a 10 gallon. :)

How would they fair with a stronger filter and lots of plastic plants?:fish1:

If the filters too strong you might have to mod a sponge in the front, before switching filters the current really seemed to bother my betta he wasn't very active cause the currents would push him now he swims freely
And also look into dragon scale bettas the fins are smaller and they fair better with current
And definitely watch out for their attitude the first one I bought immediately started attacking everything in sight took him back got the one I have now that doesn't bother the neons at all
Lots of plastic plants would help but you should look into silk or live plants plastic could have sharp edges that could cut fins

If the filters too strong you might have to mod a sponge in the front, before switching filters the current really seemed to bother my betta he wasn't very active cause the currents would push him now he swims freely
And also look into dragon scale bettas the fins are smaller and they fair better with current
And definitely watch out for their attitude the first one I bought immediately started attacking everything in sight took him back got the one I have now that doesn't bother the neons at all
Lots of plastic plants would help but you should look into silk or live plants plastic could have sharp edges that could cut fins

Okay, thank you!

I can't get another Betta, and if it doesn't work out with Pigg, the Tetras are going because he was there first.

Vatilla said:
Okay, thank you!

I can't get another Betta, and if it doesn't work out with Pigg, the Tetras are going because he was there first.

Oh sorry that's right you already had one in
Well maybe look into a sponge filter their only like $6 on eBay and work well I have one in my shrimp tank

I've decided to get Glow Light Tetras, or Glow Tetras or something like that. They're gorgeous, and I got them home about a half an hour ago. They're adjusting to the tank quite well, and Pigg just follows them around, curious. He was herding them for a bit, trying to be dominant, but he hasn't nipped them or acted aggressively. There are 5 of them, and I don't know whether they're male or female. If for some reason this doesn't work out, I have 2 weeks time to return them. I've decided to name them:
Dragon
Ferguson
Ferdinand
Imagine
and Mayella

My dog is actually freaking out right now, she's so interested in watching the fish! XDXDXD

Glowlight tetra or Glofish (danio)? They are two different species. The Glowlights may be ok in a 10 gal although if you can upgrade down the road that would be good. Glofish are very active and would prefer a 20 gal minimum.

Last edited:
Glowlight tetra or Glofish (danio)? They are two different species. The Glowlights may be ok in a 10 gal although if you can upgrade down the road that would be good. Glofish are very active and would prefer a 20 gal minimum.

Glowlight Tetras. They seem happy, and I think upgrading would be good when I have more money to spend on them XD

Back
Top Bottom