Neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish99

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking to add a school of neon tetras to my 55 gallon (actually my 2 year olds tank technically, but all he does it look at it right? I do all the work!). Anyway, were were at our LFS and he saw a full tank of neons and was amazed! I have room fir them, that is not the issue. I figured i would get 10-12, but i always research before i buy and see alot of talk about them tending to die, not last, have health issues, etc. any tips on keeping neon tetras would be appreciated!

What is your current stock of fish? We need to know what kind of fish are in there and how many. Neons need at least 6 fish to school, so 10-12 would make them very happy :)! Some people have said that neons aren't hardy, which seems to be true. I think (I am not sure) that cardinal tetras, which are pretty much exactly the same as neons, are hardier, so you might want to go with those, and I am sure your son won't know the difference!

I currently have a dwarf gourami, 6 endlers, 5 kuhli loaches, 2 platy, and a mystery snail in our 55.

As far as the cardinals, they get bigger than the neons and from what i understand need a much lower ph so that was why i ruled thm out

I have 21 neons and as much as I love them I wish I had never bought them. Mine are currently sick in a 20 gallon QT. I'm trying to treat them but I'm not sure what they have and I've researched it for hours. It might be NTD but it might be false NTD. I've treated them before and they symptoms did subside, but now they're back again. I think I am going to let them live out their life in that 20g. Anyhow, I would consider another fish if you're not absolutely in love with them.

Edit: Cardinals can adapt to higher pH. In the past I kept a school of 8 cardinals for 2 years in 8.2 pH. They may have lived longer but I went on vacation and my sister over fed them while I was gone and they died.

Ok, I wasn't very sure about the cardinals. Your current stock should be fine with the neons, as long as you don't add any angels or sharks. You could add 10-12 like you wanted. They do look pretty awesome in big schools! Like laser said, neons can be kind of weak or disease-prone, so maybe you could get the same (if not better) effect with rummynose tetras. They grow to about the same size, and look AMAZING when schooling. Here is a youtube video of them schooling, they are the ones with distinctive red noses, and this person introduces them to his/her tank right in the beginning. Show this to your son (I assume he is the one who is choosing fish) and see if he likes it!
hemigrammus bleheri (Rummy Nose) - YouTube

Nice video, the music really makes them seem to have a purpose. :lol:

I totally agree!
I wish I had this persons tank!
It looks like about 200+ gallons or something and he/she has like, 30-40 rummynose in there!
I hope the op's son likes it! :D

I have 21 neons and as much as I love them I wish I had never bought them. Mine are currently sick in a 20 gallon QT. I'm trying to treat them but I'm not sure what they have and I've researched it for hours. It might be NTD but it might be false NTD. I've treated them before and they symptoms did subside, but now they're back again. I think I am going to let them live out their life in that 20g. Anyhow, I would consider another fish if you're not absolutely in love with them.

Edit: Cardinals can adapt to higher pH. In the past I kept a school of 8 cardinals for 2 years in 8.2 pH. They may have lived longer but I went on vacation and my sister over fed them while I was gone and they died.

8.2 for cardinals? Would have never thought that!

I have cardinals in PH of 7.6, they seem very happy and active...my young sons love them and call them spiderman fish due to their blue and red coloration!! They don't seem too sensitive but I was advised to acclimatise them slowly...I did and had none die :)

Cardinals it is! What are the chances they will have those at a local fish auction in a month (akron, ohio). Never been to a tropical fish auction, but looking forward to it

Back
Top Bottom