Neon Tetras Acting Weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
All I can describe it as is that the tetras are stabbing the water with their noses, they can swim normal but seem to be facing downards at an angle and pecking the water. Is there something wrong?

How long have you had the Tetras for?
I've never owned Neon Tetras, but my Columbian Tetras always face downward and just stay in place. This seems to be normal for these type of tetras.
Now, the real question... Water Params? Hehe... You knew this was coming... lol

Haha, I did and prepared in advance lol

I have had them for about 5 months, they still seem active though.
pH- 7.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

Hmm.
So from what you're saying, my Tetras act pretty much the same except for the pecking the water...
Unless they have a noticeable issue (like bloat, gasping, damaged scale, No appetite).. if it was me, I'd just let them be.
Your Params are excellent, so I'd just keep an eye on them but not stress over it.
BTW, do you have any other fish in that tank?

I had 4 in my 1.5g and 3 died but the one is still doin good...well my ADF ate a sick one but my lone survivor seems to be doing well.

My black skirt tetras sometimes do the same but in a slightly upwards direction, I think it's just them resting, i.e. the 'pick' is just a small positioning movement using minimal effort.

My mollies on the other hand spend all day and all night picking at the ornaments in the tank.

Hmm.
So from what you're saying, my Tetras act pretty much the same except for the pecking the water...
Unless they have a noticeable issue (like bloat, gasping, damaged scale, No appetite).. if it was me, I'd just let them be.
Your Params are excellent, so I'd just keep an eye on them but not stress over it.
BTW, do you have any other fish in that tank?

A few seem to have a dusty colouring on the tops of their body but i'm not sure if this is normal lol also some do look fat and then others scrawny, but apart from that I got thinking that maybe they are just 'pecking' at bugs in the tank :confused: I do stress about the fish a little too much, I've only been doing it 5 months and haven't had the best of luck haha

They are in the tank with female bettas and a baby BN pleco.

I used to stress alot when I first started...
Since then, I've let nature take its way. My tanks are all fairly stocked and I have not tested the water in a year (But I do keep up with my weekly maintenance). I have not had 1 fish death since. I think sometimes we do too much to try to help, but only make things worst.
I say keep up with the weekly maintenance / PWC, feed a balanced Diet and everything will be ok!
Just my 2 cents, but it's been good for me!

Back
Top Bottom