Neon Tetras and Black Neon Tetras!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IERTOI

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I used to own neon tetras but I can now proudly say I own black neon tetras. Today I purchased six of them and I must say, even though I love the blueish neon tetras, the black are simply magnificent! I might just have to get some more lol! Anyway, I was just wondering if you had any specific ideas, experiences, and or tips, you could share. I would expect them to be pretty similar to the regular neons and so far the research seems relatively similar.

Simply.. Exciting lol!
:D

BNT1.JPG

BNT2.JPG

BNT3.JPG

They are very similar. They get a little bit bigger, and can be a tad more aggressive, but are still great for a community tank. Post some pics of your new fish!

Black Neons are very similar to Neons in mostly all their behavior, but they're actually two different species. So if you ever have them both in the same tank, they won't school or interact much with each other.

Black Neons are very similar to Neons in mostly all their behavior, but they're actually two different species. So if you ever have them both in the same tank, they won't school or interact much with each other.

Ours school with our neons and our glow-lights. Sometimes with our harlequins. Weirdest thing is when they try to school with the corys. I think we just have weird fish in general.

Pictures uploaded to the first post. Thanks for the replies! So far, they seem pretty energetic but they are sure pretty to look at.

Ours school with our neons and our glow-lights. Sometimes with our harlequins. Weirdest thing is when they try to school with the corys. I think we just have weird fish in general.

That would be pretty cool to witness. So far mine have been staying really close to the bristlenose :p

I have 10 of them in my 20g community tank, and am quite happy I grabbed them! One thing I've read, which seems to work well for me, is they show up much better with dark backgrounds. I have a blue / dark blue gravel mix with a pitch black background on my tank.

I have 10 of them in my 20g community tank, and am quite happy I grabbed them! One thing I've read, which seems to work well for me, is they show up much better with dark backgrounds. I have a blue / dark blue gravel mix with a pitch black background on my tank.

That is awesome, I was thinking about getting a black background for my tank really soon lol. shhhweet

IME black neons and neons are very different fish. Black neons are much bolder and occupy the top half of the tank, while neons are more timid and occupy the lower part of the tank. Black neons are much more active and swim around more, while neons float around twitching. Female black neons are significantly larger than the males, which are the size of large neons.

I agree, they do show up best with a dark background. I have mine in a tank with black sand and a black background. They are in a 45 gallon, with a bunch of neons and other tetras. There are 4 types of tetras in the tank and they are always in distinct schools. The differences between neons and black neons become much more apparent when they're kept together.

I like those a lot. Very nice fish. I'm still obsessed with Penguin Tetras, though...in my opinion, they are the most gorgeous available aside from Cardinals. One day when I have a larger tank I'll be sure to get 'em.

Back
Top Bottom