Neon tetras schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrConnie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently only have 2 Neontetras and they seem to be doing fine all on their own, but recently realized they are supposed to be schooled in groups of 6 or more. What are the disadvantages to only having 2 of these little guys? Are they unhappy? Any advice would be appreciated!:fish2:

First off, how large is your tank, and what other fish are in there?
It's true the tetras will do much better and thrive in schools.
They can survive with must the 2, but surviving and thriving are very different

29 gallon tank with:
1 Molly
2 Sunset Platys
1 Pleco
2 Neon Tetras
6 Glofish
1 Emerald Green Cory
1 Red Eyed Tetra
1 Angelfish
1 Golden Mystery Snail
+ 2 fish - I don't know what they are!

DrConnie said:
29 gallon tank with:
1 Molly
2 Sunset Platys
1 Pleco
2 Neon Tetras
6 Glofish
1 Emerald Green Cory
1 Red Eyed Tetra
1 Angelfish
1 Golden Mystery Snail
+ 2 fish - I don't know what they are!

The Pleco will get huge and need to be rehomed eventually unless he is a dwarf species.
The cory, red eyes, and neons will need to have their schools filled out.
Are you set on keeping the angel as well? A slightly bigger tank would benefit all of them if you fill out their schools and keep the angel as well.

I sure wish pet store employees knew WTF they were talking about! I got NO warning on the impending size of the pleco. I got NO info on schooling. I even was sold 3 glofish and was told they were neontetras!

The cory needs to be schooled too? Holy crap. Is a school of 6 or so the norm for all species?

I had planned on keeping the angelfish - is there a problem with that other than tank size?

There is not problem now, and the Pleco will take a while to grow out. But honestly, if you can take it back now, I would suggest that.
And sorry a out your LFS, it's happened to all of us at some point! Take everything they say with a grain of salt.
The corys will be okay in a group of 4' but 5 or 6 is best.
Same with the tetras and the danios.
Those glofish are awesome to look at though!

Is it difficult to rehome a pleco once it gets bigger? My daughter really loves it & it would be hard for her to part with it at this point. How big do they get? (it's only like 3 inches long right now)
Thanks so much for your help :) I very much appreciate it!

DrConnie said:
Is it difficult to rehome a pleco once it gets bigger? My daughter really loves it & it would be hard for her to part with it at this point. How big do they get? (it's only like 3 inches long right now)
Thanks so much for your help :) I very much appreciate it!

They can get over a foot long...
You can replace it with something like a bristlenose Plecoptera, or a dwarf species like the albino if memory serves me correctly.
Those will be easier to spot in the tank and will stay an appropriate size.
Rehoming means giving it back to a local trusted store, or finding someone with a large enough tank to take him for you. It can be time consuming and frustrating.

Excellent suggestions, thanks. I will take all of this into consideration. Who knew?? :)

I have some pictures in my albums, but haven't figured out how to navigate sharing photos yet. I actually have 2 fish that are unidentified...would love to find out what they are! I just can't figure out how to make them public so someone can help. ((Freaking newbies))

If you have the app, you can attach pictures from your phone during a post.
If you are on the computer, hit advanced reply to be able to add attachments.
Now, let's have a look at those mystery fish and see if we can't figure out what they are!

I have some pictures in my albums, but I haven't figured out how to make them public. I have two fish that are unidentified, and would love to find out what they are. I need to figure out how to do that...

DrConnie said:
I have some pictures in my albums, but I haven't figured out how to make them public. I have two fish that are unidentified, and would love to find out what they are. I need to figure out how to do that...

I found them on your profile. Which fish are you having trouble identifying?

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Longfellow is a serpae tetra I believe, never really been into tetras though. Snow white is a pearl danio.

+1. Exactly what I was thinking. The problem is....both of those rare schooling fish as well.....

LFS gonna get burned down!! LOL

I guess we'll see how we do...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom