neons in a 40 tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbeals

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We set up a 40 tall neon tetra species tank as a suprise for my daughter for christmas. (Let me tell you how much fun it is to cycle a tank secretly in your basement then tear it down and move it upstairs in the middle of the night)

How do neons do in tall tanks? Would the width be able to support a larger school of 20 fish or do they like to spread out? Also, what is the ideal water flow? I have a fluval 404 canister with a fan head at the surface, and it produces quite a bit of current in the tank. The fish have found some calm water and I have turned the flow rate down, but would a spray bar or some other setup be friendlier?

I have a 40 tall, and I think neons would do great in there! Just to be clear, you just mean the standard tall tank, not a hex tank right?
How long have you had the neons in there? How many do you have?

yep it's a real 40 tall and not a hex tank.

I've had 12 neons in there since Christmas eve and they seem to be doing fine. They apparently like the tank and the water as a few of them started spawning last night...

Thats awesome! I bet you canb fit a nice ibg school in there. I think neons are pretty cute, but I have never owned them because I don't want my angels to eat them. :) Put up pictures if you can. :)

Here are a few shots of the tank. Pay no attention to the ugly wall paper in the background.

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 71
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 79
  • closeup1.JPG
    closeup1.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 78
  • closeup2.JPG
    closeup2.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 83
That looks lovely. Neons & Cardinals make a beautiful display in good numbers & are so often overlooked.

Back
Top Bottom