New 10 Gal planted tank - advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank Artist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Let me start by saying I am new to keeping aquariums and originally got into the hobby because of gardening. I am EXTREMELY green to keeping tanks, so please don't judge too harshly. I am genuinely here to learn more, so that my pets and plants are happy and healthy! :fish2:

I started my 10 Gal with live marine sand. I was told that while doing a no-fish cycling of the tank, the minerals and bacteria provided in this substrate would create a good environment for a healthy ecosystem. I also used Nutrafin Bio Cycle and a solution to remove any possible chlorine. The plants were added after day three of cycling with minimal clouding left from the live substrate. After seeing no plant shock due to "brackish" environment changes from sand (and normal test strip readings), I added 3 Cherry Shrimp and 6 White Cloud Minnows on day eight. After extensive research online, I discovered that the WCM do better in groups of ten or more to reduce stress. I promptly went to get 4 WCM to add and somehow ended up with 6 for a total of 12. I then researched more about the RCS and found they like to be in groups of 5, so I added 2 more.

All of these guys have been coexisting peacefully and I didn't see any problems until last night. :( I was watching my tank and noticed a WCM with it's mouth stuck open. As a newbie, I decided to start searching fish forums and i'm pretty sure it's columnaris (sp?). He died within minutes of seclusion. I awoke this morning to find a second one with the white decay around his mouth and not moving with the shoal. Again, he died within minutes of seclusion. What can I do to keep this infection from killing off the rest of the tank if it is in fact columnaris?

Let me start by saying I am new to keeping aquariums and originally got into the hobby because of gardening. I am EXTREMELY green to keeping tanks, so please don't judge too harshly. I am genuinely here to learn more, so that my pets and plants are happy and healthy! :fish2:

I started my 10 Gal with live marine sand. I was told that while doing a no-fish cycling of the tank, the minerals and bacteria provided in this substrate would create a good environment for a healthy ecosystem. I also used Nutrafin Bio Cycle and a solution to remove any possible chlorine. The plants were added after day three of cycling with minimal clouding left from the live substrate. After seeing no plant shock due to "brackish" environment changes from sand (and normal test strip readings), I added 3 Cherry Shrimp and 6 White Cloud Minnows on day eight. After extensive research online, I discovered that the WCM do better in groups of ten or more to reduce stress. I promptly went to get 4 WCM to add and somehow ended up with 6 for a total of 12. I then researched more about the RCS and found they like to be in groups of 5, so I added 2 more.

All of these guys have been coexisting peacefully and I didn't see any problems until last night. :( I was watching my tank and noticed a WCM with it's mouth stuck open. As a newbie, I decided to start searching fish forums and i'm pretty sure it's columnaris (sp?). He died within minutes of seclusion. I awoke this morning to find a second one with the white decay around his mouth and not moving with the shoal. Again, he died within minutes of seclusion. What can I do to keep this infection from killing off the rest of the tank if it is in fact columnaris?

I will be gentle because I was new to this just 7 months ago, but continue to read these threads and you will learn a lot!!

In a ten g. tank, you have too many fish. WCM grow up to 1.5 inches. They need more room. If you can, you should get an API liquid Master testing kit. Strips are not accurate like this kit. It will test your 4 most important categories, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH. Where did you get the fish from? I would go back to them and see if their WCM have the same problem, and ask them also what it is. The should have different meds for you too get. When you added your new fish, did you quarantine them? I understand that when you are running just a ten, it is hard to run another as an extra tank. Maybe just get a one gal. to do this with. Also, don't put the LFS water into your tank. Will follow thread...

Go buy tetra safe start either here on amazon Amazon.com: Tetra 8.45-Ounce AquaSafe Water Conditioner with BioExtract: Pet Supplies or at a local pet store like petsmart

Thank you for your input! :) Could you possibly tell me what the difference between starting with bio-cycle and safe start? It is my understanding they do the same thing. I mentioned before I am VERY new to this, but my research has shown that the bio-cycle introduces the necessary beneficial bacteria to cycle the tank safely (and even claims to do it more quickly, though I know it is safer to wait the recommended two weeks before adding life to the tank).

Minocycline Antibiotic
Erythromycin Antibiotic
Melaleuca Extract

Forgot to tell you this!! If it is columnaris, it is a bacterial thing! The above meds above are suggested for this, also known as fuzzy lips! Hope this helps.

I will be gentle because I was new to this just 7 months ago, but continue to read these threads and you will learn a lot!!

In a ten g. tank, you have too many fish. WCM grow up to 1.5 inches. They need more room. If you can, you should get an API liquid Master testing kit. Strips are not accurate like this kit. It will test your 4 most important categories, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH. Where did you get the fish from? I would go back to them and see if their WCM have the same problem, and ask them also what it is. The should have different meds for you too get. When you added your new fish, did you quarantine them? I understand that when you are running just a ten, it is hard to run another as an extra tank. Maybe just get a one gal. to do this with. Also, don't put the LFS water into your tank. Will follow thread...

Thank you!! We plan on upgrading the enclosure to a 30 Gal in a month or two, so for now i'm told that with the plants and shrimp I should be safe for that time period. My WCM are only just under an inch right now and as I mentioned i'm down to 10 now. I will contact the store I got the fish from to ask about their stock of WCM's health...maybe just drop by so I can inspect for myself as well.

:banghead: I already made the mistake of adding the water from the LFS...will monitor situation, still learning about NO2, NO3, GH, KH and such.

Any advice for the larger enclosure setup to accommodate spawning of both species??

Minocycline Antibiotic
Erythromycin Antibiotic
Melaleuca Extract

Forgot to tell you this!! If it is columnaris, it is a bacterial thing! The above meds above are suggested for this, also known as fuzzy lips! Hope this helps.

I have melaleuca oil!! I am a member lol. How might I use it?

Sorry, you will have to look up the oil and see how much to administer. I wish I could help on that one.

If you want to set up a 30g. I wouldn't take anything from the 10. As you did with the 10, do with the 30. You can two differnt types of cycling your tank - with fish or without.
It can seem like a long time with no fish in there, but it is easier. There are bacteria or ammonia products you can put in the make the phase go by quickly. Don't always believe the LFS, they want to sell stuff. If I had to do it again - I would do a fishless cycle, only because I don't any fish dying off! But thats just me!
As far as getting the tank ready for spawning, you need to research the fish that you want to spawn because some like warmer water, fast flowing water etc. Some fish will eat the fry, others won't. Either way, you need places where the fry can hide, and get fry food! Again, I can't stress enough about research. I hope I have help a bit.
PM me anytime if you have any questions that I can try to answer!!

Be careful with melaluca oil, the stuff for humans will be mich more concetrated. For ur fishies, use melafix(has melaluca in it). And for a better effect, ise both pimafix and melafix. Ime, one or both by themselves wont cure an outbreak, but will help in tandem with other meds. Also, u can use them as preventative with ur pwcs (i like this method best)

Back
Top Bottom