New 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My sister is getting a 10 gallon aquarium. She wants a bigger kind of fish. (not too big of course) but one that is close to as big as a 10 gallon would allow. Preferably with a smaller bioload, but yeah, bigger fish bigger bioload right? So I was wondering if there are any smaller cichlids you could keep in a 10 gallon. Or any other "big" fish that is small enough for a 10 gallon. Doesnt matter if it is a schooling fish or one that is better kept alone, or whether it is semi aggressive or community, as long as you could keep as big a group as the fish do best in. She wants a tropical tank btw. So yeah. If anyone could suggest a fish (and maybe some info about it) that would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh and she would prefer more colorful fish. But not a betta. Anyone?

The bigger the fish the more the waste = increased bio load. You have to remember a ten gallon tank isnt very big at all. All the best

I know. She doesn't want a bigger tank though. She wants just 2 or 3 bigger then tiny fish. Make sense? Any ideas anyone??

How big is she wanting? Like guppy or bigger? Looking at my 10 gallon it really doesn't seem like it can comfortably fit anything bigger than a betta and I don't know of many. Maybe you can convince her that some type of tetra is super cool?

I'd research dwarf gouramis. I don't know much about them but they seem like an appropriate size...

How big is she wanting? Like guppy or bigger? Looking at my 10 gallon it really doesn't seem like it can comfortably fit anything bigger than a betta and I don't know of many. Maybe you can convince her that some type of tetra is super cool?

I'd research dwarf gouramis. I don't know much about them but they seem like an appropriate size...

She's hard to please. :p She wants something maybe the same as a betta or bigger if possible. At first she wanted an angelfish until I told her that they get waaay too big for a 10 gallon. And she doesn't like gouramis. Go figure. I dont know if she is really sure what she wants exactly, but I think she wants either 2 or 3 betta-size or bigger fish OR one "centerpiece" fish (maybe betta size, but not a betta) and some small tetras or something. She hasn't actually gotten her tank yet, but she definitely doesn't want one bigger then 10 gallons. Too much money. She is 12, so she doesn't really have a way to make enough money. Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone here has any ideas or suggestions.

Oh. She is making the tank totally pink. Gravel, decorations, everything. Except fish. I tried to convince her to get zebra danios because I think they would look cool with pink, and she is all over pink animal print. Lol. Didn't work. She is still deciding though.

She could get glofish they come in pink

I already suggested goldfish. She wants cleaner fish. :p sorry. They are all really great ideas though! :) also, the fish don't have to be pink. I might suggest a betta again just to see if she changes her mind.

I already suggested goldfish. She wants cleaner fish. :p sorry. They are all really great ideas though! :) also, the fish don't have to be pink. I might suggest a betta again just to see if she changes her mind.

Glofish is a type of danio that comes in multiple colors like blue, green, pink etc.

He didn't mean goldfish, he ment glofish lol :)

I thinks halfmoon betta and a small school would look great in her tank :)

Glofish is a type of danio that comes in multiple colors like blue, green, pink etc.

He didn't mean goldfish, he ment glofish lol :)

I thinks halfmoon betta and a small school would look great in her tank :)

Oh sorry! Lol yeah I know what glofish are... I read that wrong I guess :p yeah, I might see if she wants to do that. I am a bit nervous to put a betta in there with other fish though... I know it works for some people, but I have tried it with mine and he was really mean to the other fish. I would hate to have another betta have to be put into a little bowl again...

Oh sorry! Lol yeah I know what glofish are... I read that wrong I guess :p yeah, I might see if she wants to do that. I am a bit nervous to put a betta in there with other fish though... I know it works for some people, but I have tried it with mine and he was really mean to the other fish. I would hate to have another betta have to be put into a little bowl again...

Add the other fish first before you add the betta so that he would be going into their "territory" and won't chase them around as much. Some bettas are docile and others aren't, it all depends on the personality of the fish.

People say bettas are aggressive but they actually aren't, they are territorial. I've kept multiple males in a community tank before and all they ever did was occasionally chase a fish but lose interest soon after. I love bettas :)

You could do

1 male betta
6 glofish

And still only be 88% stocked. :)

That is what I did. I added the betta last and he still chased them... I might be willing to try it, but the thing is, if it didn't work, he'd end up in a small plastic bowl with no heater or filter

I've read that if you hold different bettas together at the store and get one that doesn't flare you've got a better chance at getting a sweet one. From what I've seen with my 3, however, it's kind of a toss up whether it'll work or not...2 are chill and sweet and one is a devil fish.

I've read that if you hold different bettas together at the store and get one that doesn't flare you've got a better chance at getting a sweet one. From what I've seen with my 3, however, it's kind of a toss up whether it'll work or not...2 are chill and sweet and one is a devil fish.

Lol well thanks for the ideas... Might try that too :)

K so now my other sister wants a tank :p think I have started a trend around here... Everyone's gonna have a tank in their room eventually. Lol I have 2 sisters (12 and 10) and 4 brothers (7,5,almost 3 and 6 months) we have a 130 gallon in the dining room (my dad's tank) and my 10 gallon (hopefully a 30 gallon soon) in my room. My sisters both want a tank and my 7 year old brother wants one, but he can't buy one yet. My mom doesn't actually want more fish, but she doesn't care as long as we take care of them and she doesn't have to. Lol.

K so now my other sister wants a tank :p think I have started a trend around here... Everyone's gonna have a tank in their room eventually. Lol I have 2 sisters (12 and 10) and 4 brothers (7,5,almost 3 and 6 months) we have a 130 gallon in the dining room (my dad's tank) and my 10 gallon (hopefully a 30 gallon soon) in my room. My sisters both want a tank and my 7 year old brother wants one, but he can't buy one yet. My mom doesn't actually want more fish, but she doesn't care as long as we take care of them and she doesn't have to. Lol.

Sounds like your family has mts. !! ( multiple tank syndrome :)

Back
Top Bottom