New 10G tank - advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
frys are gone...dead i guess...still no sign of cycling. Anyone in hartford CT area willing to give me seed bacteria? :)

ok i somehow got a dirty filter media from LFS. Dropped in my tank. i did not replace my filter. Just dropped this one. Will it help?

Can you get it into the actual filter? That would be best.

yea bc if it were in the filter it would transfer to your filter. if it wont fit just shake it in the tank really good.

What type of media is it? Is it an actual cartridge or some floss? You should be able to get it into the filter. I don't think shaking it in the tank is gonna do the trick.

it did in my tank. (5 gallon) cycling it an so far have seen ammonia nitrites and nitrates in 1 week

Its actual filter cartridge (the white bag whichever we slide in) and yes it'll fit. Its actually pretty long. Only 75% will fit, rest will be outside water. Should i put it in my filter?

yup i did that. dropped the one in the filter in the tank. I want one mature filter media to be ready for my next tank. Wanna start a chichlid tank soon. :)

How long should i run my tank before even thinking of water change?

is 29 enough for chichlid? i was told minimum 40...

a dwarf cichlid like bolivian rams, kribensis, 1 angel, german blue rams, apistogramms, and keyhole cichlids

then anything above .25 will need an immediate water change unless you have seachm prime then you can dose everyday and not worry about it. (it only takes 1ml for 10 gallon)

then anything above .25 will need an immediate water change unless you have seachm prime then you can dose everyday and not worry about it. (it only takes 1ml for 10 gallon)

I would not rely on Prime..we wouldn't do pwc's during cycling if we could just rely on the Prime. I think most of us do a water change to get it below .25 and then add prime to detoxify whatever is left. I would not rely on prime alone to protect your fish from higher levels of ammo.

Also Prime will detoxify for 48 hours, so every day wouldn't be necessary.

im going crazier cycling my tank. i have ammo but no nitrites and i have nitrates and the ammo doesnt change after a water change..... cycling can take a long time.

Back
Top Bottom