New 10G tank - need help with cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bl414

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started getting into the hobby of fish keeping and I've done a lot of research so that I kind of know what I'm doing. I just joined this forum a few days ago and have been reading up even more, but I'm still stuck on a few things about cycling.

First, i was going to do a cycle with fish until i found out how much it harms the fish in the long run so I've decided to do a fishless cycle.

So far I set my tank up with fake plants, substrate, filter, heater, and conditioned water and its been running for about three days. The temperature is a little over 80.

Some questions that I have are
-how much ammonia do I actually put into the tank, I know that you have to put it in and then test about an hour after and it should be about 5ppm, im just not sure how much to put in to actually do this.
-When to start testing for nitrite/nitrate
-When I should do water changes, and how much to actually change
-I'm really also not sure when the cycle would be complete.
-And also basically what to do on a daily basis haha, I'm just really nervous of messing up, so I need a plan of what to do and when to do it.

Thanks in advance for anyone thats willing to help me out :)

Bl414 said:
I just started getting into the hobby of fish keeping and I've done a lot of research so that I kind of know what I'm doing. I just joined this forum a few days ago and have been reading up even more, but I'm still stuck on a few things about cycling.

First, i was going to do a cycle with fish until i found out how much it harms the fish in the long run so I've decided to do a fishless cycle.

So far I set my tank up with fake plants, substrate, filter, heater, and conditioned water and its been running for about three days. The temperature is a little over 80.

Some questions that I have are
-how much ammonia do I actually put into the tank, I know that you have to put it in and then test about an hour after and it should be about 5ppm, im just not sure how much to put in to actually do this.
-When to start testing for nitrite/nitrate
-When I should do water changes, and how much to actually change
-I'm really also not sure when the cycle would be complete.
-And also basically what to do on a daily basis haha, I'm just really nervous of messing up, so I need a plan of what to do and when to do it.

Thanks in advance for anyone thats willing to help me out :)

Are you testing with a liquid kit (API is my choice)?

You want to keep the ammo at about 4ppm. Search fishless cycling for dummies and it has detailed info.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Yeah, I've got a liquid master kit

thank you very much
that answered basically all the questions that I had

just one more haha, when I do that big water change at the end is it okay to use a gravel vacuum? i know that the bacteria is in the substrate and the filter, just worried about sucking some of it out if i vacuum the gravel.

Bl414 said:
Yeah, I've got a liquid master kit

thank you very much
that answered basically all the questions that I had

just one more haha, when I do that big water change at the end is it okay to use a gravel vacuum? i know that the bacteria is in the substrate and the filter, just worried about sucking some of it out if i vacuum the gravel.

Just do part of the gravel and you'll be ok. Also if your filter media gets dirty, limit the cleaning during the cycle, only use water that came from your tank and never use tap water because it'll kill the bacteria.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Good choice! Just be patient. With my 55 gallon it took 5 ml to get it up to 4 ppm. With a 10 gallon it will literally be a few drops. Just make sure you get the ammonia without additives. Ace hardware carries the right kind. Janitorial Strength (10%). A few dollars the quart will last forever. It makes good glass cleaner if diluted. Don't smell it. Its not a good idea...Trust me

Back
Top Bottom