New 120g -Looking for fish type suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Usafexplorer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have a 120 gallon tank that I'm getting setup but unsure what fish to populate it with. So I'm here seeking suggestions.

I would consider myself an experienced (used loosely) aquarium owner for the last 20 years. I have had large (100+ gal) and small (10 gal) aquariums.

I've had a host of fish over the years; Cichlids, Oscars years ago and Pacu's most recently. (really enjoyed the Pacus) I tend to gravitate towards the larger sized fish as I would rather have fewer fish that are larger instead of 10+ smaller fish that I can't find in the tank.

The obvious issues with Pacu's are their size and the fact they almost never stop growing. Oscars were are constant battle with aggression and tank territory. What other options do I have in larger growth fish that won't exceed the tank?

I am open to suggestions, thanks in advance.

Hello, I had an agressive tank tet included the following
Freshwater lion fish
African butterfly fish
Red tail barracuda
Dinosaur bichir
Needle nose gar
Prehistoric dragon goby
Very cool tank!

Any issues with the Dragon Goby? Far as getting out of the tank or compatibility with other fish? Thanks.

If you like larger fish but want them to be more mid sized have you looked into Severums, Venezuelan Eartheaters, and such or African cichlids? You could also look into Altum angels as they get large and are awesome when you can keep a group of them. I kept them in 80's and 90's. You have a lot of options. I have a 220g community tank with 12 angels (not Altum) with several other smaller fish species.

Thanks for the reply, I have some reading to do. Great suggestions and exactly the feedback I was looking for.

Sounds like you aren't too interested in overly aggressive fish, correct?
If not, I'd do discus or wild type angels. Both get to a good size and can be kept together for the most part.

Seems like most large cichlids, at least SA + CA are aggressive, so i don't know how well that would work.

Back
Top Bottom