New 125g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King Fisher

Aquarium Advice Addict
The time has come to start a build. My father's 125g aquarium and stand arrived today. He's wanting a discus tank with a few other fish. I wanted to run this past you all and get your input on the stocking idea.

10 discus
30 Cardinal Tetra
12 Sterba's Cory cats
2 zebra pleco (true zebra's)

It's your standard 6 foot, 18 inch wide tank. Sand substrate. Will be moderately planted, driftwood and stones. Filtration will be two Fluval FX4's. Flow will be diverted on these to minimize current.

Good plan?

Are they full grown discus? Or are you growing them out in the tank? If growing out in that tank it might be a lot of water to change if you plan on feeding them / growing them to their full potential....

I like the idea of plants ;)

What's the lighting setup?
Water source?
What kind of discus??

He'll probably go with 4 inch discus. Not wild caught but farm raised. Actually looking into Hans discus or Wattley. He found a discus breeder online and the business is called Discus Madness. I never heard of them. They seem to have good reviews and nice fish. The shop has a video on YouTube I found. They also sell the zebra plecos at a reasonable price. Either way, where we live we will have to order the fish he wants and have them shipped.

He's got a 4 foot beamswork LED light. I don't know the exact model off hand but I can check it today. He's doing low light plants. And I'll probably be bothering you with questions ZxC. Lol

He's using tap water. The water here has no ammonia or nitrates. pH tested out at 8.2. TDS was 180 ppm. KH and GH was both at 10. He doesn't want to breed and they will be properly acclimated when they get here.

He'll probably go with 4 inch discus. Not wild caught but farm raised. Actually looking into Hans discus or Wattley. He found a discus breeder online and the business is called Discus Madness. I never heard of them. They seem to have good reviews and nice fish. The shop has a video on YouTube I found. They also sell the zebra plecos at a reasonable price. Either way, where we live we will have to order the fish he wants and have them shipped.

He's got a 4 foot beamswork LED light. I don't know the exact model off hand but I can check it today. He's doing low light plants. And I'll probably be bothering you with questions ZxC. Lol

He's using tap water. The water here has no ammonia or nitrates. pH tested out at 8.2. TDS was 180 ppm. KH and GH was both at 10. He doesn't want to breed and they will be properly acclimated when they get here.

All that should work, as long as the goals are realistically set... no breeding, not reaching max potential etc. I'm no discus expert, I'd love to try them one day tho.

I'll be following along with this build!

I've never kept discus either. This is uncharted territory for me. I've done about as much reading as possible and put together a plan so we'll see how it goes.

I'm hoping for good size but I know breeding probably won't happen and it's not something my father wants to deal with anyways so it works out well for him.

I'll be hitting you up Z when it comes time to plant it.

I got a few things today to get the quarantine set up.

I bought a 40g breeder tank with a stand brand new for $100 from Petco. They had a 50% sale today.

I ordered a glass lid for the 40 online for $36.

I received my order of two large sponge filters, air pump, heaters, and a few bottles of meds.

Bought two cans of dark blue spray paint to coat the back of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom