New 12G tank, stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craigsol

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all

I have a new 12 gallon tank that i currently have 3 tiger barbs in, they are very small not much bigger than a penny. I know they will grow larger. In the future after the tank has cycled I would like to put another fish or two in the tank that is not a tiger barb. Any suggestions given the aggression of the tiger barb. it is well planted with hiding spots.

On another note the tank has had tiger barbs in it for 72 hours. I have done 15% water changed all three days and done minimal deeding every 24 hours, ammonia and nitrate levels are at 0 pH is at 7.0. is this normal? I was expecting some elevated ammonia by now

thanks

Welcome to AA! In regards to your ammonia question, what type of test are you using?

For the tiger barbs, I'm afraid you're going to need a bigger tank in the next few months if you plan on keeping them. They are very active swimmers, so they need a lot of space, and they can get super aggressive. As far as tankmates go, other moderately aggressive species would be okay. They tend to be nippers though, so you would need fast fish. (But that's just my opinion) :)

I'm using the nutrafin Testkit that has ammonia oh nitrate and nitrogen

I am unfamiliar with the nutrafin test kits, as I use API, but the nutrafin kits only have one bottle to test ammonia, correct? So you aren't potentially missing a step, right? I had a good friend that did that for the longest time

Yes just one bottle they have two bottles for nitrate and nitrogen just one for ammonia. What step am I missing?

If there is only one bottle, I doubt that you are missing a step. :)

At the same time though, it is odd that there isn't any signs of ammonia. Sorry I couldn't be more help! Maybe you just have clean fish!!!!

Perhaps the ammonia is being converted and used up by your plants? How heavily planted is the tank?

No, all artificial. Tonight ammonia check yielded a .2 ammonia reading, so seems eh cycle is starting. Did a 25% water change

Sounds great! Make sure you keep a eye on the ammonia. Your tank will be cycled in no time!

In a week I has to go out of town for 3 days. Won't be able to monitor water:do water changes. I know this fish will be ok for a weekend without good, what would you suggest for ammonia levels? Was thinking about doing a gravel cleaning and 40% water change day before I leave and putting in a generous dose of prime to break up ammonia for 48 hours

Somewhere between 40 and 60% at least would be good, then just check thehome levels as soon as you come back. I'm sure it will be fine. Do you have a timer for your lights?

I do not the room get a fair amount of natural and a room lamp will be left on fot home security purposes. I did t even think of this. Is it important?

As long as there's some light it should be fine. It's usually more important for plants.

Appreciate all of your help.

I ended up taking the barbs back to the lfs and getting;

5 xray tetra
1 dwaef gourami
2 juli cory

What do u think of that set up for 12g

Better, but I'd say the corys need a larger tank (ideally they'd need more in their group as well but a 12 gal would be too tight).

Back
Top Bottom