New 15 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I think I decided to just start with the tank I have left (6g fluval edge). I had heard some good things about this lighting fixture ( Hagen Fluval Edge Replacement 6 Gallon 21-LED Lamp Fixture Fluval A-13924 ), but I just wanted to clarify: would this sustain java fern and anubias?
Also, what is a good carpet plant that would grow under the lighting system above?

(As a side-note, for stocking this tank I was thinking a pair of scarlet badis, a few cherry shrimp and a school of chili rasbora...thoughts?)

The above replacement lamp is good for low light plants only. I don't know of any carpeting plant that would work with that. Maybe dwarf sag, but it may look kind of big for that size tank. You can probably do a moss carpet.

But if you want to bump up the lighting on that 6g, you can get the replacement lamp that's designed for the 12g Edge. It will fit the same way but it has double the LEDs.
Hagen Fluval Edge Replacement 12 Gallon 42-LED Lamp Fixture Fluval A-13926 ... It will give you a better chance in growing something like DHG at least.

Check out this guy's Fluval Edge on Youtube. He has the 12g LED replacement lamp in his 6g, and he has a Current Satellite LED. If you really wanted to grow more light needy plants, like carpeting plants, you can emulate what he did. But with the extra light, you'll need CO2 (or glut) and good ferts (micros & macros). If money is tight, you can always rig up a DIY CO2 generator (yeast/sugar).

https://www.youtube.com/user/fuego604/videos

I would not do a school of anything in that size tank. I'd keep it to 2 scarlet badis and the shrimp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone. I will definitely buy the 12-gallon LED system, but I'm not sure whether or not I'll get the Current LED & CO2 injector as well. Just out of curiosity, what are the best CO2 injectors for this type and size of tank?

Back
Top Bottom