New 20 gallon and too much light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephpartin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I am in the process of cycling a 20 gallon high and the only place it fits is right by the window. I put up a backing but as you can see in the pic it is still getting way too much light on the left. I read that filters with a skimmer and UV sterilization help with algae growth. Is this true and should I invest in one due to my lighting issue? No readings yet as far as water parameters are concerned. It has only been 3 days. I used tetra safe start plus and added some good BB from my other tank. I modified the HOB whisper 20 so that the bio bags filled with carbon were switched to bio rings since they support a large surface area and hold BB. I just dumped the carbon out of the bag and filled it with the rings.

Thanks in advance for any help:thanks:

6 Gallon - 1 male Betta Charlie
20 Gallon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 55
Well, if you don't mind the spend, I'd advise to go for it. The uv sterilizer does not help with all types of algae, but does very well when there are free floating algae, especially green water. It can also potentially stop a bloom before the algae have time to establish in a tank.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, if you don't mind the spend, I'd advise to go for it. The uv sterilizer does not help with all types of algae, but does very well when there are free floating algae, especially green water. It can also potentially stop a bloom before the algae have time to establish in a tank.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!! I saw some at my LFS and they said the same thing you did so I think I will give it a try. Can't hurt...:thanks::whistle:

Back
Top Bottom