New 20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenema

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone, I am new to aquariums but I have definitely caught fish fever! I just got a new 20 gallon tank with a tetra whisper 10-30i internal filter that I will be setting up in the near future. I went on AqAdvice, messed around with it for a while, and came up with a list of fish I would like to put in.
5 long fin zebra danios
5 neon tetras
5 ghost shrimp
2 guppies (female)
2 otocinclus
1 Dalmatian Molly
1 velvet wag swordtail
AqAdvice told me that I should be doing 33% water changes weekly and that my stocking rate is 107%.
I plan on doing 15% water changes 3 times a week. My question is, is this way overstocked or will it be okay?
Also, I'm looking into getting a live Anubias plant, is this a good plant to start with?

That is fine but remember the more fish you get the more water changes you have to do

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

So you plan on having a live plant setup. Would you like me to give you a list of some easy low light plants unless you plan on getting a higher light.

Overstocking is just something pet stores advise so not a lot of fish die, keep up water changes and everything should be fine (ps: I work at a pet store) haha

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think it is funny when you go into a pet store and it seems like you know so much more about fish then anyone in there. It honestly disappoints me

People look at me and think I don't know a lot about tanks, just because my co-workers don't :/ ah well! When I start talking with someone about tanks I usually talk to them for like an hour! Ha did you get my message?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They sometimes try not to sell me the fish because I'm apparently over staked and I half to explain to them that you can as long as you keep up water changes

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

They just don't want you to return it in a week and get your money back and yes I got your message I replied

I would love some low light plant suggestions. I was just thinking anubias because I heard it doesn't need to be planted, it can just be tied to a rock or driftwood. I know nothing about plants so the easier, the better.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some easy beginner plants would include; Java fern, anubias, water wisteria, Java moss, Amazon sword, anacharis, crypt wendtii, dwarf Sagittaria, tiger lotus, melon sword, jungle Val, anacharis, penny wort, and banana plant.

Thank you!

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom