New 20g long tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BTM88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I've had some basic experience with keeping fish a few years ago. For a number of years I had a Tiger Oscar and few smaller fish, until the Oscar got big and ate them.
I am thinking about starting up a new 20g long tank, sand substrate, AquaClear 50 filter, natural looking decor like rocks and wood. I have made a list of fish that I think would work well in this tank but would love to get some second, third, and fourth opinions!

3x Otocinclus
5x Black Kuhli
2x Dwarf Gourami
5x Von Rio Fire Tetra
8x Zebra Danio

That's a good list although I'd stick to just one DG. Gonna do some live plants?

Edit: forgot to mention that you should wait some time (several months) before adding the otos as they need mature tanks to survive.

My plan is to eventually have a live plant tank, probably will start with ground cover like baby tear or java moss. And build a forest from that.

Also I've seen DGs do well in pairs. Any particular reason why you suggest only having one?

Male gouramis will generally not tolerate each other, similar to bettas. You could do a male/female combo but females are dull colored and rarely sold in the common fish trade.

azmodan, thank you good to know!

I'm really looking for fish that do well in pairs or more. Any you would suggest?

Pair of German blue rams for sure. They can get territorial when they're breeding but they're great in a 20L. You could also check out some apistogramma species like apistogramma cacatuoides or apistogramma borellii.

Edit: There are variations of GBRs too, such as gold rams, electric blue, etc. There is also the Bolivian ram which is hardier but less colorful. IMO you might as well go with a GBR.

Figured I'd give an update and see what everyone thinks. Below is what my tank set up is now. Hoping to add 2 or 3 Blue Rams within the next few weeks. Also adding more kuhli loachs when the LFS gets them back in stock.

pH- 7.5
Amm- 0
Trite- 0
Trate- 5-10ppm

20gal Long

Filter: Fluval Aquaclear 50

Decor:
PFS Substrate
Drift wood
River rock

Light: FugeRay 30" LED

Plants:
Ludwigia Atlantis
Rotala rotundifolia
Temple plant
Blyxa Japonica
Rotala Wallichii
Rotala sp nanjenshan

Using Seachem root tabs
DIY Co2

Fish:
4x Java/Black Kuhli
1x Kuhli loach
4x Otocinclus
13x Glow Light Tetra

Inverts:
Ramshorn snail
Pond Snail

Post a pic!

I have the same tank and lights and looking for additional plants that work with this setup. Have had good luck with broadleaf chain sword, dwarf sag, crypt wendtii green & red, four leaf clover, and cabomba. Okay so far but early to tell with Althernaria reineckii (slow start) and the Starogynes repens is iffy (work in progress).

The pictures kind make the aquarium look like it has green dirty water, but it is actually really clear right now. Couldn't get my striped kuhli (pangio myersi)to come out for a photo shoot, still really shy compared to the others. The java and black kuhlis are out whether it is day or night searching the sand for treats.

img_2699735_0_e90cd162312ec45261766fe0e43bc1c6.jpeg
img_2699735_1_98bafb0bccc0fe9d6140e2f4e256fd56.jpeg
img_2699735_2_14e469f27b3449460cf6fc36af14a251.jpeg
img_2699735_3_7d55b6570b8abf2f41a5cbb17ee01b89.jpeg

Thanks! Just seachem root tabs so far. Thinking of doing comprehensive soon to see if I can get some better color an fuller growth from the plants. That probably won't be for a couple weeks though, I want to see how things progress with just the root tabs.

You will need to add ferts to the water column for any of the stem plants. Seachem Comp + API Leaf Zone is a common combination of wet ferts you could do, although ultimately you may want to look into dry ferts (much cheaper and definitely more comprehensive) such as PPS-Pro or EI.

A few more pictures of the aquarium. Kuhlis are very social and active in my tank. Especially during feeding time, they have no fear and will literally dive tackle each other or other fish for food.

I added two Blue Rams to the mix a few days ago and everyone in the tank seems to be adjusting well. I believe I got a male and female, judging by the pink/red spot on the female and the plain black spot on the male. They also follow each other around almost constantly so I am hoping they are a breeding pair and will give me some fry. (y)

Back
Top Bottom