New 20g Tank, 2x Fancy Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaltec

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello experts!

My 3 and 5 year old were gifted a 1 gallon bowl and 2 fancy goldfish - a Lionhead and a Pearl Scale. I've had fish in the past, and quickly picked up a 20g tank/stand (the largest our landlord will allow), and I moved them over to it. Ideally I'd have prepped the tank for them over a couple weeks, but the stress of dealing with a cycle is way less than what they would have had to live through if they stayed in the 1g bowl.

The 20g is a "Marineland® 20 Gallon BioWheel LED Aquarium Kit". I set it up, used Prime and API Quick Cycle on the water, and set the thermostat for 72F.

Already we're being asked about adding more fish, which I'm opposed to for the most part, mostly because of how much space I know the goldfish will need growing up. That aside, are there any small schooling fish that would fare well in the tank, or am I taxing it as it is? I was considering maybe 3-5 Zebra Danios or White Cloud Minnows.

The included filter is a Penguin 150 Bio Wheel Power Filter.

I'm doing daily water tests and plan on doing 20% PWC until the tank is cycled.

Any other advice?

Goldfish of all varieties, even fancy goldfish, can grow to large sizes. I can't speak directly to your Lionhead and Pearlscale, but I've had fantail varieties reach 8" in a couple of years. IMO, don't add any more fish at all. In all likelihood, you'll have to rehome the gold fish before too many months have passed, and you'll be left with a cycled, empty tank ready to be stocked with the fish of your children's choice.

Either that or ask the landlord if you can get a bigger tank if you pay a bigger sercurity deposit/extra rent/renters insurance. If they do say yes just make sure you get it in writing so they can't claim they never said you could or anything like that.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom