New 220, could use some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bellys2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was recently given a 220 gal that has corner overflows. The previous owner eliminated the original sump and was running an FX5. I removed the corner overflow pieces to maximize the space and capped the holes in the aquarium floor. This will be a cichlid tank, here is my plan:

I will run the Fx5 that came with it along with an API Filstar XP, large. I am going to run an inline heater (hydor 300w) on the Filstar and a UV sterilizer (coralife 18w turbo twist 6x) on the FX5. Does this make sense?

I am not sure if the heater is big enough for my tank and have never used a sterilizer....I have access to another Filstar XP if more filtration is needed..

Any advice is appreciated...thank you,

The heater may be fine depending on where you live and how cold it gets. The fx5 may be pushing to much gph for the sterilizer. I'm not sure about tjat without looking it up online. Otherwise it makes since

The heater may be fine, they work very well. You might need to back it up with another depending on how cold it gets.

At 18 watts you will want a flow rate of no more than 300gph to kill some bacteria and algae. To kill more bacteria and parasites you will want a flow rate of no more than 100gph.

Thank you both for the replies. I will check some other options with slower flow rates for the sterilizer. Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom