New 25 gallon tank! Help us pick our fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so we’ve finally decided to retire the 10 gallon tank in favour of a 25 gallon tank (w/ an Aquaclear 200)! We’ve got all of our ‘infrastructure’ picked out and now are trying to figure out what to put in it. We’re hoping for a community tank with tetras, rams, cories…and maybe something else? We're going to go with a sand substrate and a few low-light plants.

Because we’re retiring the 10 gallon tank, all of its inhabitants are definitely going into the new tank. They are:
- 5 neon tetras
- 2 black phantom tetras
- 3 panda cories
At the very least, we know that we’d like a couple of blue rams in addition to the 10 gallon crew. This, however, is as far as we’ve gotten.

We’re looking for suggestions for both numbers for the fish currently on our list, and also other types of fish for new tank - we'd like to keep the tank fairly peaceful. Our pH sits relatively high @ 7.6 (and we have no desire to mess with it), but it seems people here in Edmonton manage to keep all sorts of fish anyway.

Also, I think I know the answer already, but I’m wondering if anyone has ever successfully kept a ram with a betta. I know that, on paper, at least, it doesn’t sound like it’d work, but the more I think about it, they occupy different parts of the tank (rams on the bottom, bettas on top). So, while I’d absolutely love to include a betta in my tank and I think I know the responses I’m going to hear, I thought I’d ask anyway.

Thanks for your help everyone! We’re also getting a digital camera soon, so we’ll be sure to post pics as soon as we get everything up and running.

i didnt feel like reading your full post (too long) i can only say this as of right now NO TIGER BARBS AT ALL you will regret it

I'm going to be keeping some rams w/ my betta (note that I haven't done it yet, still cycling my tank... and if there is a problem I'm prepared to move my betta right back to his 10 gallon, but I've asked many peoples opinioons and none have told me it would be a problem, worth a try). It shouldn't be a problem. They are both peaceful fish w/ other fish... unless they have long flowing fins, whichs the rams typically don't have too bad. Definatly no tiger barbs! I made that mistake w/ one of my bettas :( He didn't make it. You may want to consider just getting a few more of your tetras, they like to be in large groups anyway. :) Good luck!

How old are you powderbluetang? You type like a punk 15 year old

Hey! What's wrong with 15 year olds? I'm 15 :(.

Big Al's has some awesome blue rams in stock, I think I might need a new tank :roll: . They should be fine in edmonton pH, as long as you keep the water quality pristine. IMO you should get black substrate - it makes the rams stand out more.

Im 16 myself but hes acting immature on the forum. He could at least try some formality.

lol He told me he was 18 yesterday =P Maybe he's just tired... he was really nice to me anyway when I talked to him about breeding bettas. 8O Oh well. I'm 19, soon to be 20 8O I feel old :(

Haha. My girlfriend went through the same thing when she turned 20 in march. She's like "I'm not a cute teen anymore." lol. I think she's over it by now though.

And here I am 21, and I just did a 24 hour walk for cancer (Relay For Life) that finished up yesterday afternoon and I feel like a 95 year old man. My knees hurt, my feet hurt, my back hurts. I'm like what the heck, I'm only 21. hah

-brent

lol yeah. My bf just turned 20 in April... and he's all "I'm sooooo old" and keeps giving that as an excuse for not doing anything. I was out mowing the lawn yesterday... and I felt old hahaha

getting back to the subject of the post........... :fadein: i would suggest some zebra danios or some lemon tetras and def get a few more cories and neons as they all like to be in bigger groups. Keep an eye on your bio load though

getting back to the subject of the post........... :fadein: i would suggest some zebra danios or some lemon tetras and def get a few more cories and neons as they all like to be in bigger groups. Keep an eye on your bio load though

[center:4906e4caeb] 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O [/center:4906e4caeb]
What have I walked into?!? You're all young--get out there and enjoy it!!

DaPony87 said:
Im 16 myself but hes acting immature on the forum. He could at least try some formality.
Although, I like a well written post with proper spelling and grammar, there is nothing in the posting rules against writing anyway you want :D

Now, back to Sara's Q. Personally, I would be more worried about the tetras nipping the betta's fins than the rams. Don't forget, there are female bettas that have good color and will be less tempting to the nippers in the tank. I had a lovely female once in my community tank with tetras and rams and she added gorgeous color and held her own; whereas, the male I had in the tank before her did not do well.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions!

We did some research on some of the fish mentioned, and I think we've come up with a tentative list...

- 2 blue (german) rams
- 4 panda cories
- 8 neon tetras
- 3 black phantoms
- 1 female betta

We're going to get an Aquaclear 200 filter, and put in sand (haven't decided what kind yet) as a substrate. It'll be mostly fake plants, but we might try and java fern or two as well.

Thoughts?

Go to HD and pick up playsand. You will get way more than you need, but it's cheap. Make sure to rinse it well.

Since neon tetras and panda cories and rams are all sensitive to water parameters, make sure the tank is well cycled before adding them. As a caution--the female betta can be mean, depending on personality. Give her a little place of her own--ask betta keepers what they do with java fern and shower caddies :D

Overall, it looks the beginnings of a lovely tank!

Another thing about sand. I'd put a foam block with a hole or an "X" cut partway through it over the intake on your Aquaclear 200 to protect the impeller on the filter from any sand that gets up there. Java Ferns are easy and hardy. You might want to get a piece of driftwood to anchor the Java Fern to. Enjoy!

Another thing about sand. I'd put a foam block with a hole or an "X" cut partway through it over the intake on your Aquaclear 200 to protect the impeller on the filter from any sand that gets up there.
Usually that's my line :eek:. Geez, I'm getting slow!!

Back
Top Bottom