New 29 Gallon Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Macros are N p k

Micros are other trace elements. Fe mg mn s b cu co mo n ect....

Your lights are not super bright but imo doesnt hurt. Your trying to find balance of par, nutrients, and co2.

I work with macros and micros in day job and after 30 yrs im no expert. Its a big world. After you learn basics study mobile and immobile nutrients and what there deficiencies look like. That get ya going right direction.

Tank off to awesome start.

Thank you. I did buy a background, those are not my plants. Where do I buy the micros & macros? Are they bought separately or is there something already mixed?

Tons of choices. Liquid, EI, PPS
research those.

For your tank and plants. Id look at seachem flourish, seachem trace, seachem iron, seachem pottasium, seachem excel. Maybe some tabs for the melon

On thier site there several dose schedules to give ya an idea.

I like your stock. Im a big fan of single school/shoals. As well as low bioloads...makes everything easier. Id buy more plants but thats me.

I like your stock. Im a big fan of single school/shoals. As well as low bioloads...makes everything easier. Id buy more plants but thats me.

Thank you. I'm waiting to see if I can make these plants healthy before buying more. My temperature is set at 80F because I read that angelfish like warmer water. Could this affect the plants?

I'm only getting 1 more fish an angelfish next week. Originally we were going to get 2. My filter can handle it but according to Aquadvisor my tank will be slightly overstocked at 120%. I also think 2 angels are more likely to cause problems when they grow up. I've also thought about getting 2 & buying a larger tank in 6 months. My other concern is that 2 angels will be happier than 1 because they will have a buddy. I keep going back & forth. Oh, well I have a week to decide.

I would not put an angel in there. But its your tank.

I'm very excited that my melon swords which had almost completely melted is sprouting so nicely. I can't seem to bury the roots in my Tahitian Moon Sand. Any tips on what to do with the roots?

Attachments

• IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 67
Sand is typically easier imo. I assume you have planting tweezers. If not ya....pita. There a cheap invaluable investment.

Over bury it by hand then gently pull up if you dont have any.

Sand is typically easier imo. I assume you have planting tweezers. If not ya....pita. There a cheap invaluable investment.

Thanks, I will look into getting planting tweezers. I've tried burying it by hand & can't seem to get it to stay. It's funny my Diamond Tetras nibble on my arm every time I put my arm in the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 66
I need some advice. My husband bought the kids a 29 gallon Top Fin Kit. First mistake he bought a 30 gallon stand instead of a 29 gallon one. Please tell me this is okay . I was skeptical but hubby called Petsmart and Petsupermarket said it was okay. I wanted to replace the Top Fin 30 filter with an Aquaclear 50 because I read it's the best HOB. Hubby brought home a Penguin 75. Should I return the Penguin filter & get the Aquaclear? Is a Penguin 75 overkill for a 29 gallon. It doesn't fit in the cover opening either. I put Tahitian Moon sand & a couple plants from my old tank. My old tank was a 2.5 gallon so this is a big upgrade. Right now I only have 1 old female guppy in there. I'm planning on adding 3 juvenile angelfish and 2 corys once it is cycled. View attachment 294704 What plants would you suggest & how many? What about driftwood should I get real or fake?

Looks good

Do a bunch of research on angelfish. Many people will tell you they are not very good community fish and 3 is to many in that tank. They can be very aggressive. Also with Cories you should have more than two. I would suggest five and should all be the same type of Cory. A mixture of different varieties and you won't experience there shoaling behaviours.

I have 6 cories (2 albinos & 4 bronze) & 6 Diamond Tetras. I'm only getting 1 Angelfish. My filter can handle 2 (AC70) but I think that 1 will cause less problems in the long run.

Meet Radar Chase (RC) my new Angelfish. He (or she) doesn't seem to like the light in my tank which is not very strong. He hides every time I turn it on & seems happier when I turn the light off. I'm hoping this is a normal part of him getting use to his new home.

Attachments

• IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 52
Meet Radar Chase (RC) my new Angelfish. He (or she) doesn't seem to like the light in my tank which is not very strong. He hides every time I turn it on & seems happier when I turn the light off. I'm hoping this is a normal part of him getting use to his new home.

New environment. He/she will likely get comfortable over time. (Hopefully)

New environment. He/she will likely get comfortable over time. (Hopefully)

My angel is doing a little better but still seems very shy. He does not come up to eat but eats the leftovers that fall down. I can't help but wonder if I should get him a buddy? Yes, I know according to aquadvisor this would slightly overstock my tank. But my filtration would still be good because I'm running an AC70. I just want what's best for my fish.

I took this picture to document the growth of my angel. He seems to be draw to the coins. He immediately came to check them out when I taped them on the glass. He's quarter sized body right now right?

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 49
No worries, when there young they like to school, but a single angelfish is the best thing for your tank. I keep a female (I think) by herself in my 36g bow front and I've taught her to eat from my fingers. There very interesting fish.

It would help it feel more comfortable if you had taller plants, even fake ones. Mine hid around the bottom forever until my Amazon swords shot up like crazy.

No worries, when there young they like to school, but a single angelfish is the best thing for your tank. I keep a female (I think) by herself in my 36g bow front and I've taught her to eat from my fingers. There very interesting fish.

It would help it feel more comfortable if you had taller plants, even fake ones. Mine hid around the bottom forever until my Amazon swords shot up like crazy.

I'm planning on getting more plants . He or she seems to be coming around. He came right up to me when I put the coins on the glass as if to check them out.

Today I found a small floating rock in my aquarium. Anyone have any idea how it got there & what it is. I thought it was a snail first. When squeezed hard it does dissolve.

Attachments

• IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom