New 29 gallon help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticHooper23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently bought a 29 gallon starter tank and yes i will upgrade the filter and heater later on, I've been doing a fish less cycle for 11 days now. What I wanted to ask was what can I put in when it's finished cycling? This is what I was thinking so far:

6x Zebra Danios
6x Neon Tertra
6x Peppered or Emerald Cory's

That's all I know for now. Any suggestions on what else to get? I would also like recommendation on beginner plants too. Currently I have Dwarf Hairgrass and Anubias, but I want Jungle Val as my background plant. Any advice or comment would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Your stock sounds good; you could do 8 of each of the tetra and danio if you wanted. For a centerpiece you could get a single dwarf gourami (don't get the larger type of gourami though). Snails can be a fun addition to a tank; nerites are good as they can't breed in freshwater.

What light do you have on the tank? Is it the stock light that came with the tank?

Your stock sounds good; you could do 8 of each of the tetra and danio if you wanted. For a centerpiece you could get a single dwarf gourami (don't get the larger type of gourami though). Snails can be a fun addition to a tank; nerites are good as they can't breed in freshwater.

What light do you have on the tank? Is it the stock light that came with the tank?

Okay thank you, I'll look into the dwarf gourami :) would zebra and leopard danios school together? Is so, could I get 4 of each? And yea, I was thinking of getting a snail, my baby brother seems to be really fascinated by them lol.

And yes, it's just the stock led lights that came with the tank, and I plan on upgrading that too, but not for a while until I get everything else as good as it can be.

I recently bought a 29 gallon starter tank and yes i will upgrade the filter and heater later on, I've been doing a fish less cycle for 11 days now. What I wanted to ask was what can I put in when it's finished cycling? This is what I was thinking so far:

6x Zebra Danios
6x Neon Tertra
6x Peppered or Emerald Cory's

That's all I know for now. Any suggestions on what else to get? I would also like recommendation on beginner plants too. Currently I have Dwarf Hairgrass and Anubias, but I want Jungle Val as my background plant. Any advice or comment would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

How about you add two bristlenose plecos, these plecos are very docile and awesome. They only grow to be six inches, unlike the normal pleco that grows to be a foot long
Male bristlenoses will develop the bristles on his nose, they do a very good job cleaning the tank, here is my female two inches, you should add two into that tank. Just get two females or a male and a female, not two males, they will fight, remember males have the bristles, females don't, as you can see, my female doesn't have the bristles, any more questions, I'm right here:)

Attachments

• image-1974370571.jpg
    image-1974370571.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3340494824.jpg
    image-3340494824.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 55
  • image-1725193836.jpg
    image-1725193836.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 61
You could also get anacharis plants, very hardy, they help filter out the ammonia, and they use it to grow, also they add a lot of oxygen to your tank, think about getting this plant!

That is a good stocking. You would fine with using that heater..you don't need to much for a 29gallon..as for the filter that is your call. That stock is good and I think the perfect amount and could add a few more to the schooling fish. I would keep the cories at the number though so your bottom isn't too crowded.

You could also get anacharis plants, very hardy, they help filter out the ammonia, and they use it to grow, also they add a lot of oxygen to your tank, think about getting this plant!

I've been thinking about getting a pleco, it's what I couldn't decide on. Either Cory's, or a Pleco... And okay I'll look into that plant. Thank for the advice. :)

That is a good stocking. You would fine with using that heater..you don't need to much for a 29gallon..as for the filter that is your call. That stock is good and I think the perfect amount and could add a few more to the schooling fish. I would keep the cories at the number though so your bottom isn't too crowded.

Okay, thank you. Do you have any experience on keeping zebra and leopard danios? I think they're wonderful looking fish, and would like to get some. :)

I've been thinking about getting a pleco, it's what I couldn't decide on. Either Cory's, or a Pleco... And okay I'll look into that plant. Thank for the advice. :)

Well, how about two Cory's and one bristlenose, your tank is big enough, it'll do, maybe even two bristlenoses, just make sure you get either bristlenose or rubber lip, as the others grow well over a foot long, I prefer bristlenoses over rubber lips, as bristlenoses have a much better coloring and are much more active

Okay, thank you. Do you have any experience on keeping zebra and leopard danios? I think they're wonderful looking fish, and would like to get some. :)

I have experience with all these fish, I have 5 zebra danios in the 55 gallon, although I had six, but my Molly ate him:( but with the Cory's and the pleco, and with the other fish you mentioned, they should be fine:) very active top swimming fish. Just make sure you feed them floating flakes to them, as they won't come down for the sinking pellets. The Cory's need sinking pellets, and I would highly recommend algae wafers for the plecos, they have all the nutrients they need, as algae may not be enough. Any more questions you have:)

Well, how about two Cory's and one bristlenose, your tank is big enough, it'll do, maybe even two bristlenoses, just make sure you get either bristlenose or rubber lip, as the others grow well over a foot long, I prefer bristlenoses over rubber lips, as bristlenoses have a much better coloring and are much more active

Since corys do better in groups of at least 4 I wouldn't just have two corys. I also wouldn't do two plecos in a 29. So I'd do either one pleco or the corys.

Since corys do better in groups of at least 4 I wouldn't just have two corys. I also wouldn't do two plecos in a 29. So I'd do either one pleco or the corys.

This is the advice I would give. I would stick with the cories. They add life to the tank....very active. And I would veer away from the plecos as the footprint on the 29 is not ideal for them. I have a 29 as well, and the cories are great. Although those plecos stay to around 6", they will be uncomfortable in that space.

I put a Rubberlip in with Cory's & when I fed, the Rubberlip would race around & be very active. I think he rammed into one of the Cory's & killed it. So he went back to the LFS & I got more Cories! I have 8 and they have the bottom to themselves.

Ok, sure
Ike I always say, the more the merrier I have 2 in my 55 gallon tank and they are the most active fish in there, they just chase each other around all day long.
Hey, but it's up to you, you could get three corries and one pleco, the pleco is really fun to watch, I would get one.

Ok, sure
Ike I always say, the more the merrier I have 2 in my 55 gallon tank and they are the most active fish in there, they just chase each other around all day long.
Hey, but it's up to you, you could get three corries and one pleco, the pleco is really fun to watch, I would get one.

I would stick to your Cories. A 29g is not ideal for a Pleco. I love my Cories and mine are very active. 6 or more Cories would be great. There are a ton of Cory species out there. Peppered are very nice and keep a nice pattern. Sterbais are my favorite but might be a bit too big for a 29g.

Thanks for all the replies, it is greatly appreciated. Although I would get Cory's, I unfortunately have the floramax substrate which is apparently not recommended for Cory cats. But I would really like to get Cory's, or at least borrow dwelling fish. I heard putting in a few river rocks might help.. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the replies, it is greatly appreciated. Although I would get Cory's, I unfortunately have the floramax substrate which is apparently not recommended for Cory cats. But I would really like to get Cory's, or at least borrow dwelling fish. I heard putting in a few river rocks might help.. Any suggestions?

I believe people have kept Cories on FM. It's not ideal, but as long as they have hiding spots and rocks or driftwood to rest on they may be fine ?
You can feed on a dish if needed. Drop food down a tube so you can aim it.

Alright thanks for the advice lol, because I really wanted a good bottom dweller. In your opinion what's the toughest/best looking Cory?

Alright thanks for the advice lol, because I really wanted a good bottom dweller. In your opinion what's the toughest/best looking Cory?

I would see what you can find, that fit your tank and your water conditions. Check Planet Catfish for more info.

The more exotic rare species are often hard to keep. I'd stick with easy stuff to start. Healthy happy Cories are shiny and active and wink at you. I like the paleatus and aeneus they are common partly because they are very hardy.

I love my C habrosus but they have sand and a ton of live plants and they are wee little Cories.

If I have a 40g or larger I want Sterbais. A club member of mine breeds Cories. :)

I would stick to your Cories. A 29g is not ideal for a Pleco. I love my Cories and mine are very active. 6 or more Cories would be great. There are a ton of Cory species out there. Peppered are very nice and keep a nice pattern. Sterbais are my favorite but might be a bit too big for a 29g.

Actually, bristlenose plecos and rubber lip plecos are usually 4-5 inches with the biggest ones being 6", so I think that a 29 gallon is big enough for one, just again, make sure that you don't get the common or any other type of pleco, as they do grow over a foot long

Back
Top Bottom