New 29 Gallon Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicarius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
Firstly, I'm glad I've finally found a forum that seems to have people that know what they are talking about.

Now, to get to the point. I am still new to aquarium keeping, and started off with a 10 gallon tank, which I regret. I am looking to upgrade to a 29 gallon tank in the next month or so. I will be trying to do a fishless cycle on it before adding my current 10g residents and purchasing new specimens.

The setup I am contemplating is:
Tank: Aqueon 29 Gallon
Heater: Aqueon Pro 150
Filter: Fluval 205
Hood: Aqueon Versa Top Twin Tube 30"
Lighting: Aqueon Twin Tube Strip 30"

I also plan on adding an air stone or similar unit for better oxygenation.

Is there anything else one would recommend I take a look at?

The current fish setup is a school of 6 Tiger Barbs. I realize the 10g is too small for them, which is one reason I want to upgrade. I was considering some Yo-Yo Loaches or Otocinclus for the bottom portion of the tank once it is ready, but have been unable to find a top portion fish that is to my liking.

Can anyone suggest a compatible breed, or have any other suggestions for the bottom residents? I would like to keep the school of barbs, and potentially add a few more.

I'm not one of those that really know what they are talking about, but welcome to AA!

Looking forward to following the upgrade!

Sounds good! I'm very excited to see how this turns out as my 46 gallon bow front is in production as well. Haven't kept Tiger Barbs so I don't know their behavior very well but one of my favorite bottom dwellers is the Corydoras catfish. They're very active and playful!... Always busy with looking for food on the bottom. However most, if not all are not tolerant of salt so beware of that. They are also schooling fish... I'd recommend at least 4 or something along those lines. A very cool fish indeed. Good luck with your tank!

You could get 6-7 zebra danios. They're very active at the top but are schoolers so that's the need for numbers. The tiger barbs won't fin nip either.

I have thought about Zebras, but I was worried about the numbers getting too high for the size of the tank with two sets of shoalers.

One can just add filtration and add more fish? The Fluval 205 I am considering is supposedly enough filtration for a 40 gallon tank. Does that mean I can add more than the recommended 1" per gallon I've read about?

Well, you still need to keep in mind the compatibility and swimming room, etc., but generally the 1" per gallon relates more to bio load than tank size.

I see. Ok, then. Zebras are one choice. Any other suggestions for some top dwelling fish compatible with Tiger Barbs?

Does anyone have any advice on the products I've picked for my setup? Or am I missing anything?

Sicarius said:
I see. Ok, then. Zebras are one choice. Any other suggestions for some top dwelling fish compatible with Tiger Barbs?

Does anyone have any advice on the products I've picked for my setup? Or am I missing anything?

i'm doing an aquaclear 50 gallon on mine, along with an aquaclear 30 gallon. it seems like overkill i guess, but you its really nice in case you need to set up a qt ASAP. i know fluval is good for heaters.

I've never seen the aquaclear filters. I will have a look. I have 3 friends that all swear by fluval filters though, which is why I was planning on it.

Btw, here is a pic of my current set up. The seams are blue right now because I just finished treatment for ich...lost one Tiger to it, but seems to be under control now. Tank is a little cloudy because I had to remove the filter for the meds to work.

Tested before 30% PWC
Am: ~.25
No2: 0
No3: 20

Tank seems stable, Ammo should go down. None of the fish are bigger than 1" right now, which is the only reason I have 6.

Attachments

• 2011-05-25 18.51.04.jpg
    2011-05-25 18.51.04.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 88
Interesting...the Aquaclear filters are made by the same company that makes the Fluval filters...Hagen. Seems the Aquaclear are just HOB type where the Fluval are canister type.

I am kind of realizing that canister on anything less then a 55 gallon is almost overkill. JMO.

The idea behind having the canister is having overkill to make sure the water is as clear as I can get it. My friend has a 55 gallon that is sparkling clean and I'd like to have the same in my tank.

Ok, so I think I've found a fish combo that will work and I think looks good together. Just need help in getting the numbers right.

Top - Scissortail Rasbora
Middle - Tiger Barb
Bottom - YoYo Loaches

I was thinking maybe 2 or 3 rasboras, 7-9 barbs, and 2-3 loaches. Is this too much in a 29G tank?

I'm actually looking at this same issue. I have 2 tiger barbs and 2 albino tiger barbs that I have been using to cycle my tank and have been looking for a top level fish for my 37 gallon tank. I have been considering a gold gourami since they are supposedly top level fish and are also considered semi-aggressive which matches the temperment of the barbs. They also dont swim that fast and eat up all the food before it can sink to the other fish's levels.

Anyone else have a take on this?

Back
Top Bottom