New 29gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
Getting back into the hobby after a ~5 year hiatus. Just bought a new 29gal tank and have to figure out what I want to do with it. I want to do a planted tank, but at least for now, it will need to be low light as I’m working with the stock LED light it came with.

There are a few local stores around but I’m honestly not sure what their stock is like, both in terms of variety and health, so I may be looking at what I can get at places like Petco and Petsmart. I’m in New Orleans if anyone has any local suggestions.

If you’re looking at the tetra 29g starter setup, to be honest the crappy light it has is actually not that bad!

I had thrown red ludwigia, water wisteria and moneywort in mine and it grew just fine with the light that came with it (the tank also only gets ambient room light, it has no direct sunlight or anything).

These are all fairly simple low tech plants, if you can find anything like them you should be fine. I guess depending on what you want, you can settle for a more mid to high tech plant that won’t exactly thrive but can still get the look you want, but it can take a loonggg time to get there without the right conditions

If you’re looking at the tetra 29g starter setup, to be honest the crappy light it has is actually not that bad!

I had thrown red ludwigia, water wisteria and moneywort in mine and it grew just fine with the light that came with it (the tank also only gets ambient room light, it has no direct sunlight or anything).

These are all fairly simple low tech plants, if you can find anything like them you should be fine. I guess depending on what you want, you can settle for a more mid to high tech plant that won’t exactly thrive but can still get the look you want, but it can take a loonggg time to get there without the right conditions

I got a top fin starter kit that was on sale. Not sure how that one compares. I still need to get the table I’m using for a stand from my parents house and set it up, so we’ll see this weekend. It is an LED light though.

Yep, be the same thing I’m using for my comet tank then. So it’ll do ok for plants that don’t require a whole pile of light to live!

Back
Top Bottom