new 29gal tank, advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devilfluff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I've recently started my first tank, and I'm looking to get some thoughts/advice... 8)

I've started w/ a 29gal glass tank (more of a long than a high) and added a Penguin 150 HOB filter, and a stealth 150W heater(can't remember brand). I'm using black aquarium gravel as a substrate, and currently have 9 assorted plastic plants.

I, unfortunately, missed the fishless cycle idea til it was too late :oops:, but I don't believe I've overloaded the tank. It has been home to 2 red wag platys since 1/9, both of whom seem to be healthy and active. :D

I have the reading of both my tank and tap water, and seem to be running a bit alkaline...

Tank
pH 8.4
NH4 .50ppm
NO2 0 NO3 0

Tap
pH 8.4
NH4 .25ppm
NO2 0
NO3 0

These are using the AP master test kit.

Is the high pH a problem, or do I just need to focus on specific fish?

I figure the cycle is just beginning, and am going to attempt to get my hands on some seeded gravel to speed it up :crosses fingers:

Any advise is always welcome, but I'll take abuse if it'll help in the long run ;)

You are on the right track with the AP test kit. Too bad you didn't know about fishless cycling, but at least you've got a light bioload and you are checking your water parameters. With ammonia at .5, you should be doing about 25% water changes. Feed the fish very little, and do a pwc every time your ammonia gets to or above 0.5 (even if that means doing one every day for a little while), and you should be okay.

Regarding the ph, generally speaking, stable ph is better than ideal ph. But yours is really high. Others more knowledgeable on the subject can probably give you specific advice on that.

Dont worry about the PH stable is better than perfect, Do a PWC when then ammonia gets near .5. Try to keep it close to .25 ppm. All you can do right now is keeping checking your levels and changing water as needed.

Don't worry at all about the ph, your fish will much prefer a stable ph. What you need to worry about is if your ammonia levels and nitrite levels get above 1ppm. You need to keep the levels below 1ppm (the lower the better), which can be a little more work on your part. But if you keep these levels down, you will have a successful cycle and your fish will be ok. Good luck in cycling. And if you have any questions, just ask. Lot's of knowlegable people here.

Welcome to AA. Am I reading your test results correctly you have .25 ppm ammonia in your tap water? Are you on a well or municipal water? As far as ph Is concerned I agree with every body else stable is the way to go. You might want to pick up a book on aquariums I purchased The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums(you can check it out in the product&retailor reveiws at the top of your page) I found this book very helpful for alot of my questions and problems. Well good luck and enjoy your new aquarium.

I was surprised to find an ammonia reading in the tap water as well...

It is municipal water... I will run that test again, most likely user error :wink:

I appreciate all the responses so far :D

If you have acouple of bucks and you feel adventurus you may want to pick up a gh and kh test kit and post the results some one may know how to help you ajust your ph natuarly and slowly like mabye abunch of driftwood and smaller more frequent water changes that is after you cycle. then again I may be wrong so I would wait until some more experianced people way in on the issue.

If you are showing ammonia in the tap, most likely it is chloramines. Your local water source probably uses them instead of chlorine. You'll want to use a dechlorinator that removed Chloramines, such as Prime.

Fishyfanatic said:
If you are showing ammonia in the tap, most likely it is chloramines. Your local water source probably uses them instead of chlorine. You'll want to use a dechlorinator that removed Chloramines, such as Prime.

Good call I didn't know that as I live in stiks clorine foor pools out here I will be sure to remember it . Our biggest problem is nitratesand hard water. Hucked onn fonecs werks four me.

Ahh... I was unaware chloramines would throw an ammonia reading!

I have been using a water conditioner. I've been using Stress Coat-- I've read since that the aloe may be an issue, but til i get to the lfs, it claims to neutralize both chlorine and chloramine.

Yup, Chloramines will definately show a false ammonia reading. Well, it's sort of false anyways. :) If you're looking for a new dechlor, I HIGHLY recommend Prime. Great product and is concentrated so it lasts a long time.

As long as it says it removes chlorine and chloramines, you are covered. Then the next time you need dechlor, look up Prime. It might cost a couple bucks more, but the bottle will last a lot longer, as it's more concentrated, and you put a lot less in to do the same job.

I finally got some seed material to, hopefully, jump start the cycle :)

Baggie of gravel from my uncle's cycled tank :lol:

I only wish the gravel wasn't so neon bright... aesthetically displeasing when added to my all black gravel...

Put the gravel in a bag and just set it in your tank in a corner. That way it doesn't get mixed around with your gravel.

Could even put it in a nylon sock.... Just need to use a new one that hasn't been washed, don't want detergent in the tank.

Just an update.. tested my water last night before a pwc.

NH3 - .25
NO2 - .50
NO3 - 5

so it looks like the cycle is moving along!! :mrgreen:

Both fish are active, brightly colored, and seem to be getting along swimmingly

With the cycle moving along nicely, Ive started looking at stocking...

I started with 2 red wag platys.

Next I want to add 5 corys(in 2 batches)- probably Aeneus(sp?)

I want to eventually add a pair of dwarf gouramis(assuming I can find a female)

I'm looking for ideas for a small schooling fish, preferably a top or midwater, to finish the set up.

Any ideas?

Does this sound feasible?

Back
Top Bottom