New 36 gal bowfront- Dead fish :( And Stocking ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lena333

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there. I have many questions!
I had an 8 gal biorb started in June 2012.
It had 5 full size neon tetras.
On 12/7/13 I put the 5 tetras in a 36 gallon bow front with light, lid, filter, heater...
I put about 1 gallon of the old water plus all rocks and plastic decorations in the new tank but I washed rocks and decos in tap water.
Should I have not washed them?
I always use API stress coat dechlorinator and stress zyme live bacteria per instructions every water change and with the new 36 gal set up.
On 12/13/13 I added 3 tiny neon tetras and a very small Amazon sword plant from PetSmart.
Last night 12/27/13 a large neon was dead!
Could this be old age or did I mess up?
This morning water parameters per those stupid test strips where you have to match up colors were:
GH 120
KH 40
PH 7
NO2 0
NO3 0
Water temp is always 76F

Also, going forward I have to come up with a stocking plan.
I really want a dwarf indian puffer but as far as I can tell that won't work with neons :( What can I do? This is and will be my only tank.
I saw an awesome black knife fish but my tank is too small right?
I really like german blue ram. Will this be ok with neons?
Like galactic purple glo tetra but it's kinda cheesy right?
Like dwarf gourami but also a top 40 fish.
I need some sort of cleaner fish but it can't be ugly, albino or prehistoric and scary looking:) Ideas?
Any suggestions on good looking colorful fish that fit with neons and my water parameters?

Lastly, I bought a $6 Dracaena plant at PetCo last night and after reading online today, I should return it right and hollar at them for selling it as an aquarium plant? What a pain in the $@$@!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Did you cycle your aquarium? If not, you probably have New Tank Syndrome. There are lots of articles and threads about this you should check out right now! Cycling a tank is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. Here are some threads/articles you should check out IMMEDIATELY.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
This one is fishless cycling: only if you can return all of your fish.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
This is fish in cycling: only if you can return all but 2 or 3.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
This is probably the path you have to choose if you can't return any of your fish.

Also, the test strips are notoriously unreliable. I recommend trying out the API Master Freshwater Test Kit.

And as for the questions about adding more fish to this tank... use aqadvisor.com to see if you are overstocked or will be overstocked and more.

To be honest, to me you sound inexperienced. Some of these fish are not right for you.

The neons might become food for a dwarf indian puffer. Dwarf indian puffers are moderate in care.
For the Black Ghost Knife, your tank is to small. They need 75 gallons or up, at LEAST. These guys are advanced fish, and semi-aggressive.
The neons will also be food for the ram. After all, rams are cichlids. And if you want cichilds... Head on over to the cichilds discussion.
The dwarf gourami... their min tank size is 10 gallons, plus there care is moderate.

Also: you said you need a cleaner fish. Cleaner fish are fish, too. Yes, they will eat some leftover food and algae or whatever, depending on the fish. However, they also have bioloads and do, well, poop. I strongly recommend NOT getting a cleaner fish unless you are getting them for there... fishy purposes.

Look, Lena333. I'm sorry if I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me you decided you wanted an aquarium, and went ahead and bought one without researching. Many people do this; don't feel bad. However, RESEARCH!!!!!! Research is the most VITAL thing to having any pet. I cannot stress this enough. Research and making sure you know what you are doing will make this easier on you and your fish.
Research about your plants and fish and think: can I commit to them? Is this type right for me?

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

The guide to starting a freshwater aquarium.

I hope this helps. Fishkeeping is a great hobby!

P.S. Sorry if I sound harsh.

You killed any bb that was in your previous tank when you washed it in tap water. You are officially doing a fish in cycle. You will have to check your levels everyday and do not add anymore fish until you have finished it. By the way what is your ammo level? You posted everything but that. I am guessing your ammo level spiked and killed the fish. If either your ammo or nitrite levels are over .25ppm you will have to do a water change.
German blue rams are great and good with neons. But don't add them until 4-6 months after your tank is fully cycled. Dwarf gouramis are also a very sensitive fish. Your tank is definitely to small for a black knife.
But before thinking about fish I would look at getting you tank cycled first. Read this I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Polkadots- GBRs are very gentle fish and are just fine with neons. I have mine in with my neon and cardinal tetras and I know lots of people that do the same. I agree with the puffers. They are better in a species only tank.

Polkadots- GBRs are very gentle fish and are just fine with neons. I have mine in with my neon and cardinal tetras and I know lots of people that do the same. I agree with the puffers. They are better in a species only tank.

I have never had cichlids, but I heard they are very aggressive and territorial. Shame on me, I suppose, for assuming.

Back
Top Bottom