Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

New 37gal (long, sorry!)

Well, this is how it started - I have a 6gal Eclipse on my desk that houses ADF's and Endler's. I bought a scratched tank stand from PetsMart because it was on clearance for a song and it matched my desk very well, and I could put the tank on it and free up some valuable desk space. The stand fits right against my desk in my office.

I was happy for a time until I saw the label inside the stand, which stated it could hold up to a 37gal tank. The wheels started turning, birthday coming up.... and a tank sale at my favorite LFS was the kiss of death.

Now I am happily planning on keeping Altolamprologus calvus (black) in there, and hope to get a spawning pair out of a group of 6 I will get from Bluegrass Cichlids or Armkes. For tankmates I am considering (*gasp*) praecox rainbows, as suggested by some cichlidophiles with experience keeping calvus. There are not too many Lake Tang fish I could keep in this tall tank with calvus. It is sortof exhillarating to think of straying from the biotope, at least for me. Take a walk on the wild side, why don't I

This has some Caribsea Ivory Coast cichlid sand, lace rock and will be filtered by an Eheim Ecco 2234 canister. I also splurged on a Current USA Satellite PC fixture that has moon lights, so I can run fluoro during the day and moon lighting at night. I was impressed with the price of this fixture, as it seems to compare very well with Coralife fixtures, but nowhere near as pricey. The best thing is that it is a room-divider tank and I can see through it while sitting at my desk.

When all the stuff arrives I'll post pics - My family just sighs, because they know I have lost my mind yet again

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Re: New 37gal (long, sorry!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl
My family just sighs, because they know I have lost my mind yet again
TG - Have you informed your family that you have MTS and the treatment for it takes a lifetime since there is no cure?

Getting back to the subject...very nice indeed. You have a combo room divider-aquarium desk ornament. What could be possibly wrong with that?

Old 01-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What would have happened if the label inside the stand said "holds up to 125 gallon"?
LOL
Old 01-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good for you Tank Girl!!

Looks like this new tank is meant to be!
Old 01-08-2005, 11:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
I like the idea of a room divider and decoration.

I wish we could have aquariums at school lol.

Best of luck to you with the new tank!
Old 01-09-2005, 02:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What would have happened if the label inside the stand said "holds up to 125 gallon"?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com