New 3FT tank given to me. Set-up advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vendril

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all.

I've been reading lots of the articles and look forward to starting my new freshwater aquarium. Would like some advice though please about what my current equipment can handle. So I can plan more before I start cycling.

Aim: Community tank. Planted.

Tank dimensions:
150L/40G (LxWxH) 91cm x 35cm X 47cm

Lighting:
The main issue I see is the light. I was given a single GroLux T8 F30W/Gro Light for the tank but from what I'm reading it is not enough for a planted tank and I will need to use CO2. 3wpg is what I read but this light doesn't provide anywhere near that amount. If I should upgrade what are some options?

Substrate:
None of my lfs have any aquasoils so I will have to ship it in if necessary. How much will I need to get the required depth? (they sell it in 9L bags). Can I just use washed sand?

Filtration:
I bought a brand new Eheim 350 Classic which is good for up to a 350L tank. Just unboxed and ready to roll :)

Ornaments:
How many hidey holes is too many/ too little for a community? I have a big piece of driftwood and with the plants I think there should be some cover but should I be setting up more place for the fish chill out?

Thanks for any advice. When I find out more about what my tank can handle I'll start my search for appropriate plants and fish.

I'll be sure to update with some more pics as the project continues.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 59
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 75
Hi and welcome! I agree you need a better light for plants. What you need to figure out is how high-tech you want to go when it comes to a planted tank. You can do a low-maintenance low-light planted tank which could still have a good amount of low-light plants and wouldn't require much in the way of maintanance (no co2, minimal ferts). The higher you go with the light, the more nutrients the plants need and therefore CO2 injection and regular fertilizer dosing would be needed.

My setup is pretty low-tech so I can't speak too much on the higher end stuff but here's a link with some good info: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/lighting-guide-for-a-planted-tank-141782.html

I don't think you can have too many hiding spots for fish. You do want some open swimming areas too though.

Back
Top Bottom