New 40 Gallon Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeejack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!! I am new to this forum, but not new to the hobby. I have kept tropical fish since 6th grade, but since moving to college I haven't had any. I just bought a 40 Gallon Breeder tank and am in the process of purchasing all the other stuff. So far I'm planning on getting the following:

Filter--Marineland Penguin 350 x2
Heater--Eheim Jager 125 w (do I need more?)
Thermometer--HDE Aquarium Digital Thermometer
Substrate--PFS
Test kit--API Master test kit
Dechlorinator--API Tap Water Conditioner
Tank--Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder (Have this)

So I'm not totally sure what hood/lighting to buy. Preferably cheap, as I'm in college right now and can't afford much. I'm planning on having low-light plants such as Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias. (I know anubias like a little more light, but I've read they just won't grow as fast in low light level)

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!!

I'd go aquaclear over marineland. 2 AQ 50s run the same $.
I would also do Aqueon PRO heater.
Just the equipment I actually use on my tanks...
The heater should be sized by how many degrees above room temp it is needed to raise the tank...
An Aqueon Pro150 watt can raise a 55g 10 degrees above room temp of 68-72.
If that is not enough go 200watts.

I just checked prices. Each Marineland penguin 350 runs at $22.99 on amazon while one aquaclear 50 is $37.99. Is the Aquaclear really that much better? I've only used Marineland, so I really don't know haha.

So an Aqueon Pro 150 W can heat my 40 perfectly fine? I'll go with that one. I was iffy on the Jager.

150 does my 40 just fine in a basement that gets down to 65 in winter. Aquaclear is the only hang on back filter in my fish room. Run 6 of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Might get two Aquaclear 50's then. Any reason you prefer them over the Marineland?

Because marineland is overpriced gahhrrrbahgeee

Aquaclear has a nice little basket , you place whatever you'd like in there. Marineland bases all their hobs on replaceable/purchased media

Oh ok. Yea, I'm gonna get the aquaclears then. Thanks for the advice. Been a while since I've done all this.

Now, I've looked at Aqadvisor (I know not to trust it very much, but it's good to get a general idea) and should I trust the amount of bio-load it says I'll have? Because 40 Gallon breeders are technically 44.9 gallons. I plan on stocking the following. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

8 Rummynose Tetras
8 Neon Tetras
10 Panda Corys
6 Guppies
1 Dwarf Gourami
Maybe a pair of GBR's, if I have room.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

8 Rummynose Tetras
8 Neon Tetras
10 Panda Corys
6 Guppies
1 Dwarf Gourami
Maybe a pair of GBR's, if I have room.

I think you've got plenty of room for these, including the rams, but I'd wait to add them until the tank has had time to stabilize its water chemistry. Fro what I've read, they can be a bit delicate in new tanks.

I think you'll like the Aquaclears: I do. Great filters that can hold a wide variety of media.

For lighting, given the plants you've mentioned, you might want to consider the Finnex Stingray:

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Stingray-Aquarium-Light-36-Inch/dp/B00NAFQ6D2

I know people who run whole fish rooms with these, and they're very happy. The level of light should be fine for your plants.

Stay way from dwarf gouramis.90% of them are infected with DGIV.

If you want rummies and GBR then go with Cardinals as they like it hot also [80+].
Neons want 76..
Rams last after tank is stable...Maybe the same for rummies. Neither are known to tolerate swings in water quality well.

I think you've got plenty of room for these, including the rams, but I'd wait to add them until the tank has had time to stabilize its water chemistry. Fro what I've read, they can be a bit delicate in new tanks.

I think you'll like the Aquaclears: I do. Great filters that can hold a wide variety of media.

For lighting, given the plants you've mentioned, you might want to consider the Finnex Stingray:

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Stingray-Aquarium-Light-36-Inch/dp/B00NAFQ6D2

I know people who run whole fish rooms with these, and they're very happy. The level of light should be fine for your plants.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into the light, I've read about them a lot, but on the high end of my budget.

I didn't know that about Dwarf Gouramis. Thanks for the heads up. Any suggestions on a different fish? I live in a fairly small college town with no LFS. I have to drive 45 minutes for just a Petsmart lol.

A honey Gourami would be a good replacement for the DG if you really want gouramis

Honeys are a nice gourami, and CoralBandit is right about cardinals being a better match with GBRs because of temperature needs.

Yea, I'm going to get Cardinals instead. Don't know why I thought about neons lol. Are honeys smaller like the dwarf?

Sooo.... I'm having a lot of trouble finding a hood for my tank. Like the post says, it's a 40 gallon breeder. Any help from anyone who knows anything would be great

Back
Top Bottom