New 40g Long need help with fishless cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 4:
pH:7.6
Ammonia: .5
Nitrite:5+
Nitrate: 5

My water is getting a little yellow from a new piece of driftwood that I apparently didn't soak long enough, would it be okay to do a 50% PWC now?
-if so should I bucket the water and add the prime before putting it into the tank, or should I just put it all in the tank and prime the whole tank?

Flash081 said:
Day 4:
Ammonia: .5
Nitrite:5+
Nitrate: 5

My water is getting a little yellow from a new piece of driftwood that I apparently didn't soak long enough, would it be okay to do a 50% PWC now?
-if so should I bucket the water and add the prime before putting it into the tank, or should I just put it all in the tank and prime the whole tank?

I'd give it a few days...save the bucket carrying till you need it :)

Also, if you're using a water changer like a Python, you can dose the tank based off the total volume (not just what you're replacing), but if you're using buckets, I'd dechlorinate each one individually.

Day 5:
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 5+
Nitrate: 5-10

It's gobbling up ammonia, but the nitrites aren't going down and I'm not really getting an increase in Nitrate.

Day 5:
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 5+
Nitrate: 5-10

It's gobbling up ammonia, but the nitrites aren't going down and I'm not really getting an increase in Nitrate.

That's all OK, looks like it's going as it should, I think. How long have the nitrites been over 5?

Eco if you're still along reading this do you think that my plants are the reason I'm not seeing many Nitrates on my tests?
Or is it just because the Nitrites are still really high and just not converting.

Eco if you're still along reading this do you think that my plants are the reason I'm not seeing many Nitrates on my tests?
Or is it just because the Nitrites are still really high and just not converting.

Yes it could be the plants. Eco would know better though :) If your nitrites have been off-chart for a week a pwc to bring them down to a readable level could kick-start things. But you might to wait for a second opinion. ;)

I agree with Librarygirl. I don't think the plants alone are keeping it low unless you've got a ton of them...but a large pwc to knock down the no2 to .5-1 isn't a bad idea. I think the no2 > no3 bacteria is basically trying to catch up with the first, and that's why there's a lapse in seeing the nitrAtes jump up. Everything looks good to me :)

Okay I'll do a water change right now until I get them down then re-dose to 4ppm ammonia

EDIT:
Did my day 8 tests before water change:
ph: 7.6
Ammonia: 0-.25
Nitrite: 2.0-5.0 (May have been the light but it was lighter today!
Nitrate: 5.0-10.0

I've been meaning to ask when I test the color am I supposed to hold the vial up to the white part, or away from the paper and let the light shine all the way through. That really makes a difference in the color. For example, if I hold the vial flush with the white the Nitrates look like they're 20+ but if I pull it away and let the light all the way through it looks more like 5.0.

The test confused me too at first, but the API instructions say to hold it against the white part of the card, so that's what I do. :)

oh, okay I'll start making sure I do that. That might change some things haha.
But, I agree Eco ; ]

Post 80% water change Nitrites are still 5+... should I do another?

Since you've got the bucket out you might as well. Try and knock it down to .5-1...but don't be surprised if it jumps right back up.

Change #2 in progress (I LOVE this water changer).

EDIT:
...and completed. Now to add Prime and wait about 20 min. to test.

uhh....STILL 5+....Tested tap: 0.0
I am beginning to HATE the color purple.

Back
Top Bottom