new 50 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crabguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi all, just started a 50 gal on tuesday. filled with water and running an emperor 400. however the water is cloudy. i'm using very fine river stones. i rinsed the gravel quite well before i added it to the tank. tank's been running for two days now and is still cloudy. read about some additives to water that will remove the cloudiness. any suggestions will help.

What kind of cloudiness? White or green? I'm assuming white since the tank is so new. Did you clean the filter cartridges before starting? Do not use the additives. IMO they are a waste of money.

give it time to settle - in this hobby, everything needs time and rushing things only leads to problems.

what else is in the tank besides the gravel?

and do you have a test kit?

is the filter new?

thak you all for responding. the cloudiness is white, only gravel and the emperor 400 is brand new. guess i'll wait a few more days for it to clear up. any suggestions on how to cycle fast, fish, additives, etc.? rinsed everything quite well. what should i test for?

The fastest way is with Bio-Spira. Other than that, go the fishless route. It is safer and not as much as a pain.

Check out these two articles. It will explain the Nitrogen and Fishless cycle. The fishless article says that it is for Saltwater, but the same applies for freshwater. I prefer to dose pure ammonia over using a decayed shrimp or fish food.

Nitrogen cycle
Fishless cycle

This should explain it.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
I know it says it's for saltwater, but it works the same way for freshwater.

If you have any other cycled tanks, or know someone that does (that you can trust not to have diseases in their tank), then you can move some established filter media into your new tank and add a small bioload at the same time. It won't cycle your tank instantly, and you'll probably have to do some water changes, but you will likely cycle in under a week if you go this route.

Good luck!

edit: Fishy beat me to it! :p

well, i tested my water on sunday and ammonia is zero, nitrite about 5 or above and nitrate is to the top of the scale. will a hugh water change help bring down the nitrites and nitrates? going the fishless route. didnot try the bio-spria. also set up an old powerhead to add circulation and air bubbles. how mush longer do you guys think? its been exactly 1 month now.

You are getting close. Is this as high as the nitrite has been? I would do a water change and see what happens, if your nitrates are off the chart, then it sounds like to me, you have a large colony of nitrite reducing bacteria available. I would do 50% change and then see how fast the nitrites get used up.

thanks rich311k. i'll do the water change tonite and then test again. my wife is anxious to add fish, but i told her we have to wait. i also have a 29gal setup. should i try adding the filter pad from this tank to speed things up?

crabguy said:
thanks rich311k. i'll do the water change tonite and then test again. my wife is anxious to add fish, but i told her we have to wait. i also have a 29gal setup. should i try adding the filter pad from this tank to speed things up?

ABSOLUTELY ! thats the fastest way to get the cycle going and completed.

thank you joannde, i have an eclipse 3 hood and filter on my 29gal. it's been running for 7 months now. it's planted with 6 various paltys, 3 rosy barbs, 1 albino cory and 1 koi angel. my 50 gal flat back hex tank has an emperor 400. where should i put the filter pad from the eclipse in this tank? btw, i,m from fort lauderdale.

Put the pad in the filter if you can fit it. You can chop it up if you have to it doesn't matter. Otherwise just put it in the tank.

crabguy said:
tank's been running for two days now and is still cloudy. read about some additives to water that will remove the cloudiness.

I used pool filter sand in my 29g setup, I think it took at least 4-5 days to start clearing up.

did a 50% water change last nite and the nitrites came way down to .2ppm on my test kit chart. ammonia is zero. will add the filter pad from my old tank into the emperor tonite. hope the cycle will be done soon.

well folks, my nitrites are up again to 5 and the nitrates are are about midway on the scale. is this normal? put the filter pad from old tank in also. do i need a small bio load?

NItrites of 5 are too high for fish. Do you still have an ammonia source in the tank (a rotting shrimp works great - looks ugly and smells bad but you're nearly done with the cycle).
If you're nitrates are up then you're pretty much cycled. Do a 50% PWC to dilute the nitrites and then when they get to 0 you're ready for fish.

WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO - I bet your excited - I know I am for you !!

thanks joannde, my shrimp disappeared from the tank so i may still have ammonia. another 50% pwc will help?

Back
Top Bottom