new 50 gal, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ben

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i just got a 50 gal today and I've got a ton of questions. I'm thinking about using a balloon molly or two to cycle it, would this be good enough?

Just for info, I'm starting my first cichlid tank..probly african but im not sure at all cause I have no idea what cichlids go with what. If there's some easy way of dividing them that'd help, although my sisters bf has some africans mixed with non africans and they've been fine...but for what its worth the dimensions of my tank are kind of different and im thinking maybe it works to an advantage or disadvantage.. its 36" long, 24 " Deep, and 14" high.

Why not do a fishless cycle? It is easier on the fish obviously and doesn't take as long as a fish cycle.

Cichlids can be difficult and there are so many to choose from. Are you interested in a more peaceful tank, more colorful and aggressive? Hard to offer suggestions without first knowing what you want to get out of your cichlid tank.

For what it's worth I would suggest you choose either African cichlids, or Central/South American. Africans not only have much different requirements for water perams than CA/SAs, but also much different dietary needs. Even the dietary needs of cichlids from the different rift lakes can be different, from what I understand. For example, Malawi mbuna are herbivores and are prone to bloat if they are fed too much protein, so they are best kept among other Malawi cichlids.

If you like Central/South Americans, stocking can be less complicated. You can mix cichlids from these regions as long as you do a little research on temperament to find out which species will mix well, as their requirements for water perams are generally similar. You still need to be careful though, as many of these species can be aggressive and some, like Oscars, will outgrow even a 50 gallon.

I second the suggestion for fishless cycling. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

another suggestion is if you like colorful active fish get discus, they arnt cheap but they are beautiful fish and very interactive. Im currently on my way to getting my 55 planted discus tank running.

I agree with zagz, some more info on what you really desire will be helpful,
and good on you for choosing africans, excellent choice!!
For a tank that size i'd have a few smaller colonies of dwarf mbuna.

For the record, I don't believe in mixing cichlids from different areas. I don't even mix cichlids from different lakes. My cichlid tank is all from lake Malawi. Dwarf mbuna would be very nice. Colorful and fairly active. But again, first your personal preference of course. :)

Wow i never thought of discus fish..man there really nice but I think I have my mind set on africans, the auratus is definitely on my mind. I have a list of othes that I'll post tomorrow cause I gota go right now, thanks for all the advice 8)

I'm really excited to get this think up and running even though I gota wait a month for the cycle, I need that time to think about what fish to get :idea:

I've been reading up on some fish and I hear some oscars can live with oher fish as long as their big enough and grow up with the oscar from when it's young? They seem to have real personalities and get excited when their owners come. Not to mention I love how they look. I noticed they fit in with the group of cichlids including Convicts, Jack Dempseys, Kribensis and Jewels. All these are really nice but 8O

then I'm also really liking the auratus, zebra, Copadichromis trewavasae, Julidochromis marlieri , Cyphotilapia frontosa and gibberosa, Pseudotropheus demasoni and Copadichromis azureus. These are africans though...Oh and theres others I can't remember. Man I can't decide which kind to get :lol: .

If I was to get an oscar I would get just 1 ...or you think the tanks just not gona hack it :( ? The dimensions are 36" by 24" and 12" high 50 gal...it looks like there'd be decent swim room. I have read about the waste they create. Also they get to 13 inchs, but I was thinking once they get too big maybe trade in for a smaller? What do you guys think, could I manage with some other fish too? I realise that many of the fish I listed are or can be aggressive but I don't mind as long as it's not a constant brawl going on in there.

I just ordered a marineland emperor 400 from bigals so I'm hoping that's good enough for 1 oscar and a few cichlids. If not well there's other cichlids that are nice then the oscar :) . I don't know of any dwarf cichlids, other then the ram (I think it's a dwarf?) but If they're nice I'm interested.

Thanks again

i was told that you could get 2 oscars for a 30 gallon tank.
I grew up with oscars and i thought they were the coolest. lol.
And they are. But i went with discus instead yes they are much harder to take care of .
The only reason i didnt is because i have to share it with my bf and he didnt want them. So we made an agreement to get discus.
I love oscars esspecially the tiger ones.
Good luck and i would say go for it..
But you cant stick plants in it tho as they are known for ripping them out.

Yeah I did read about some ppl being able to keep them in 30s and 40s...but with lots of water changing. I don't mind doing the weekly changes. I do one every 3 days with my molly fry in my 10 gal.

Yeah definitely no plants. I got some rocks and I'm getting more. Driftwood too. Love that stuff.
Thanks for your input :).

Back
Top Bottom