New 55 Gal Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I am setting up my first 55 gal tank. It has been up and running for almost a week now. 1st problem I am having is that tha nitrites are way up and I can't seem to get them down. I have read that this is common in a new tank, but just how long should I wait for the levels to go down? I have had no fish die, I have two live plants and 1 moss ball with 5 fake plants. My PH is sorta low so I am putting in PH raiser. I have a 12" bubbler in the back middle of the tank and a topfin 60 double filter. Fish in the tank are as follows:
5 Bala
3 Silver Dollar
2 Striped Rafael Catfish
5 Tiger Barbs (3 are albinos)
I know the Bala will grow and I'll need a bigger tank, as well as the Silver Dollars. I have no plans to add anymore fish as I think I am at my max. Tank temp is between 74-79 and is on an outside wall next to a window. Can I add Petrified wood to this tank for asthetics and cover for the Rafaels? The Bala are about 2" long and all other fish are 1-1 1/2" long. The Rafaels are 3-4" long as well. Any advice will be great, good or bad just want to have a healthy tank.

Based on information I have read in aquarium books, nitrite is supposed to peak around the 3 week mark of cycling and then slowly drops during the 4th week, when nitrates start to escalate. Although this may already be happening in the first week due to you introducing so many fish early, which I believe speeds up the cycle.
Also (and correct me if I'm wrong, more advanced aquarists) I believe these species of fish like to live in slightly acidic water, so the pH may not be much of an issue.

I will say your cycle is going quicker than mine! My nitrites didn't show up until week 8!

You could add some driftwood, IMO it looks quite nice.

I don't know much about the catfish, but I believe the bala sharks and silver dollars need to be in a tank bigger than what you have. I think the balas need at least a 125 and silver dollars need a bare minimum of a 75. If you want something different and kind of unusual, you could maybe go with an African Borwn Knife! You can hand-feed them too!

Ok I am going to do a 25% water change today and see if that helps. The fish show no signs of nitrite poisoning but to be on the safe side I will be keeping an eye on it.

How long do you think I should wait to test water???

Back
Top Bottom