New 55 gal tank fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started my fishless cycle on the 18th of December which about a month now, since than I've had my ammonia level drop twice from 4pp to 2 ppm first time in the second week and second time just a few days ago, I've redose it back to 4ppm each time, I haven't seen any nitrites or nitrates , I've been using the API test kit , have header to 84 f degrees , and air bubbles the whole time I've only added water because some of it has evaporated but not done any water changes , I'm wondering if my cycle has stalled or not even started ? After reading most forums a lot of people are way in their cycle around this time , any advice would help! Thanks

Have you been testing your ph daily? What does it read? Have you been conditioning the water your using for top offs? Is it a planted tank?

I have not been testing the Ph daily but I checked it yesterday and read 7.6 , I do pour conditioner on the water when I'm topping it off, it is not planted

What type of water conditioner are you using? What type of ammonia? Do you know anything about your tap water (public or well, chlorine or chloramine, amounts, etc)? Any type of ammonia/nitrite removing media in your filter? Just trying to rule things in or out as possible reasons for lack of progress here!

I'm using aqueon water conditioner, as for ammonia I'm using janitorial strength formula from ace hardware store which is other people are using from what I have read, I don't know any specifics about my tap water , I don't have any media in it, so I know that makes it take longer

Do you know if you have a well or its public water source? You need to add some type of media to your filter so your good bacteria have a place to grow and colonize. Filter foam (sponge), filter floss, bioballs, ceramic rings, etcetc are all good choices. Your going to have a hard time establishing a cycle without a place for them to grow- the majority live in your filter media.

I have public source for water supply, as for filter media I was thinking that u asked if had had any from like a established tank, I have a marineland canister filter , which has all sorts of filter media

Check online and see if your water report is available to see what type of disinfectant is being used/how much. What are your numbers for your tap water? Do you know anyone with a healthy estbalished tank or pond that could offer you some media?

If im reading the report right, it has chloramines , level 3.2 , range of detects 1.2 to 4.5 , not sure how to read that , I haven't tested the tap water with the kit, should I? And as for the media from an established tank I don't know anyone with some

Test your tap & let us know how this looks. I would also suggest switching to prime though even a standard dose of prime only handles up to 4ppm of chloramine/5ppmchlorine. Most water conditioners only work up to 1ppm of chlorine & most recommend double dosing if there's chloramine present. I suspect because there's chloramine in your tank it's preventing your cycle from moving forward. Prime will also will be very helpful when you water changes in the future because it will detox the ammonia in your tap until your bb can use it and prevent it from harming your fish.

I tested my tap water , don't know if they are right but I tested it twice, ammonia was between .50 - 1 ppm , nitrite 0 ppm , nitrate 0 ppm , Ph was at 7.6 ,

I do have prime just haven't been using it yet since the other came with my tank, should I start using it when I start to top off the tank with water?

I haven't done an actual water change on it, I've jut been topping it off when water evaporates which I've done it 3 times , I would say about 2 to 2 1/2 gallons Everytime

I would do a big water change (as much as possible). Make sure you temp match & properly condition. Double dose Prime before refilling. Then add @2ppm of ammonia & 1-2tsps of finely crushed fish food & lets see how things go over the next few days before we consider taking additional measures. Use the calculator to figure out the ammonia dose based on your tap reading. So, if theres already 1ppm ammonia in your tap, only add enough to increase the total to 2ppm.

Calculator

Ok I will go ahead and do that today , so when I do the water change and add the 2 ppm I still want it to read 4ppm? Or just 2ppm

Ok I did a water change about 25 gallons, I put a double dose of prime , and the right amount of ammonia, and put in some crushed fish food , I tested and ammonia is reading 2 ppm , so so I now just wait for some activity?

I've order some filter media to put in my tank which comes from an established tank hopefully I will get that in a few days and help start some kinda activity

Back
Top Bottom