New 55 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmidt.843

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got a new 55 gallon tank & transferred my fish from my ten gallon tank into my 55 and added a few more. Now my fish seem to be getting their fins eaten off and dying off by the dozen. Any suggestions? I had an assortment of danios, Black skirted tetras, red wag platy, mickey mouse platy, glowlight tetra, lamp eye tetra, neon tetras, sunburst platy, Dalmatian molly, and a pleco. They were kept in schools if needed. Also, any suggestions for starting my tank back up with new fish? I am looking at keeping the pleco and maybe adding some fun looking fish and some with color?

Did you transfer your old filter from the 10 to the 55? If not, you didn't take your bacteria with you. Move the filter from the 10 to the 55 immediately.

Sounds like water and aggression issues. You didn't say what fish came from the old tank, but my guess is the skirted tetras are not in that group. Skirted tetras are fin nippers and known to be aggressive. I'm not sure what a Lamp Eye Tetra is, but if it is a red eye tetra they are nippy as well. My best advise would be to go with smaller less aggressive shaoling fish such as cherry barbs, penguin tetras, gold barbs and the like.

Back
Top Bottom