New 55Gal Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrennanJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys im new on the website! :)

well, just wanted to do daily updates with my tank that I've started 2 days ago, The 19th, the 21st now. :ROFLMAO:

I got plants in there, gravel & sand, Driftwood but planning to put a bigger one, Marineland penguin 400 filter, heater, thermometer, Api Master test kit.

3/19:
Dosed with ace ammonia until 4ppm
pH a little over neutral 7.2-8

3/20:
Stayed the same

any advice?

Your doing everything right just be patient, it will take around a week for ammonia to start being converted to nitrite. then around 3-4 weeks for the full conversion of nitrite to nitrate, completing your cycle. Just watch your pH, if it goes below 6 do a big water change, a below 6 pH will stall a cycle.

Your doing everything right just be patient, it will take around a week for ammonia to start being converted to nitrite. then around 3-4 weeks for the full conversion of nitrite to nitrate, completing your cycle. Just watch your pH, if it goes below 6 do a big water change, a below 6 pH will stall a cycle.

Thank you :) Good to know!
How big of a water change btw?
Will update later on today, its 2:47am xD

Probably around 100 % .. Just make sure when your doing it, keep your filter media wet so you don't kill your beneficial bacteria. Hope this helps!

Probably around 100 % .. Just make sure when your doing it, keep your filter media wet so you don't kill your beneficial bacteria. Hope this helps!

Thanks man, Will do. When I do the Big WC do I have to add Seachem Prime?

hey I'm also fishless cycling a 55 (im about 2.5 weeks in)...advice? lots of patience! good luck

UPDATE
3/21:

Ammonia still at 4.0ppm
High PH at 8.2
Temperature at around 77 degrees

I put my old drift wood in and it made my water a little brownish lol..

image-1683601052.jpg

image-3522255981.jpg

Is this okay to add to my fish tank?

How's it going so far? Hahaha I realized that xD thank you! :)

So far so good I think. I'm a newb so its been a learning experience. The toughest thing is waiting- waiting for a bacteria bloom I had to clear, waiting for nitrites to drop (still waiting), waiting to get some fish!

what's your stock plan?

So far so good I think. I'm a newb so its been a learning experience. The toughest thing is waiting- waiting for a bacteria bloom I had to clear, waiting for nitrites to drop (still waiting), waiting to get some fish!

what's your stock plan?

You Hahaha same here man, xD this is my first time doing fishless cycle.. But that's good you're already in the process.. I'm still waiting for nitrites :(

My stocking plan is a cichlid community tank, or all tiger barbs community just to get it going first. Idk though.

What's your stocking plan?

UPDATE*
7:08PM

Ammonia still at 4.0ppm
Nitrites going some where?
image-2958002511.jpg
Nitrates:0
High pH at 8.2
Temperature at 75+ degrees.

Attachments

• image-880252350.jpg
    image-880252350.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 59
You Hahaha same here man, xD this is my first time doing fishless cycle.. But that's good you're already in the process.. I'm still waiting for nitrites :(

My stocking plan is a cichlid community tank, or all tiger barbs community just to get it going first. Idk though.

What's your stocking plan?

hmm not sure yet. I'm thinking a tetra school to start - either lemons or diamonds. Then later either apistos or rams... maybe couple angels?

The good thing about waiting for the cycle to finish is it gives you time to research/decide.

UPDATE 3/22

Ammonia: 4.0ppm(still the same)
Nitrites:2.0pp
Nitrates:10ppm

Whoa getting nitrites and nitrates readings already!

Let me know if this is okay?

Ammonia at 4.0 but goes down to 0.5 in 24 hours!!!!!! Woooooo!!!!

Nitrites spiked high 5.0+

Nitrates not too bad, I have plants so it's lowers it everytime it gets high.

Almost finished with cycling?

Any advice?

You've still got a little ways to go, nitrites haven't spiked yet, then nitrates will get really high and ammonia and nitrite will zero out and you will need to do a big water change to get nitrates at 20 or less before adding fish.

Ammonia at 4.0 but goes down to 0.5 in 24 hours!!!!!! Woooooo!!!!

Nitrites spiked high 5.0+

Nitrates not too bad, I have plants so it's lowers it everytime it gets high.

Almost finished with cycling?

I'm just about finished cycling my 55 as both ammonia and nitrites zero out within 24 hours of my ammonia dose. Nitrates are high now as well.

Like you my ammonia started being converted to nitrite quickly (within a few days)- but my "nitrite spike" phase lasted about 2 weeks with constant +5 readings.

Small water changes (20%) towards the end seemed to help push it along.

You've still got a little ways to go, nitrites haven't spiked yet, then nitrates will get really high and ammonia and nitrite will zero out and you will need to do a big water change to get nitrates at 20 or less before adding fish.

My nitrites are spiked btw they're really high I can t even get a reading for it yet ><

My nitrates are also super high now.. Since today I've check it about 80ppm-100ppm. Thanks man appreciate it! :)

I'm just about finished cycling my 55 as both ammonia and nitrites zero out within 24 hours of my ammonia dose. Nitrates are high now as well.

Like you my ammonia started being converted to nitrite quickly (within a few days)- but my "nitrite spike" phase lasted about 2 weeks with constant +5 readings.

Small water changes (20%) towards the end seemed to help push it along.

Nice man!!!! Hahah glad to hear you almost finished..

Yup is that bad ?

I see I see. So should I do a water change soon?

Back
Top Bottom