New 55gal setup contemplating canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laxpatrick

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I bought a kit - and it came with a TopFin 60 HOB filter. Got everything set up and am patiently beginning the cycling process.

One issue - it's noisy. The tank is in my home office where I routinely do conference calls and I'm concerned about the level of noise.

So now I'm pondering a canister filter to replace the HOB.

Any pros/cons with making the switch? Seems like it'd be much quieter, and I could even put it inside one of the cabinets. Any risks (water drips, spills) I should be concerned about?

I'll probably pick up one from PetSmart or PetCo - recommendations? See that PetSmart carries a few - Filstar? Marineland? Eheim? Fluval? Not overly price sensitive if it's got features/better reviews.

Thanks!!!

Ok, this has been beaten to death. I've got some more research and shopping to do.

Looking at:

Fluval 305
Rena Filstar XP2 or XP3
Eheim 2234

LAXPatrick

I'd personally get the Eheim 2215 or 2217.

The Filstar series is very popular around here, but I don't like them. I haven't used one, but I've examined them in stores and just don't like the construction or media basket setup.

Well you could try to fill your tank more so that the water from the hob doesn't splash. I know that as long as I keep my tank topped off, I don't even hear the filter.

But, I agree that canisters are great. If you have already started your cycle, you might want to leave both filters in for a while, so you don't lose any good bacteria that you have. Or you can put the filter media from your hob into the canister. Depends how far along you are in your cycle as to how much it will be affected.

I have an older fluval that I love, but people really seem to swear by the eheims.

I have a Rena XP3 for my 55 gal.---LOVE IT!!! very very little noise
Also very easy to operate

Cindy6 Green Bay

Update: Went with the Rena XP2. OMG this thing is GREAT - totally silent (plus I put it inside the cabinet), features are really nice. I was a little concerned about the little funnel to prime it, but am very impressed with the quick release hoses, etc.

All in all, I'm quite happy with it - and I can do conference calls in peace and quiet.

I aimed the spraybar slightly up so I get a good ripple without any noise.

Now I'm just playing the cycle game. Added Stability, then some ammonia. My ammonia levels skyrocketed (not shocked). Did a 15 gallon water change and getting the ammonia level down just a bit.

My pH seems high but I'm not worried about that right now.

Thanks for the posts!

LAXPatrick

Yeah, tough to do lately - sposed to be near 25 below tonight. When is spring again?

The Rena sure is great - quite a long cry from my old diatom filter that I picked up at an auction many many years ago for tank cleaning. I shudder to think how many gallons hit the floor of my parents old house...

I have the Fluval 305 on my heavily planted 56 gallon column and so far... love it.

Quiet, keeps the tank crystal clear, and seems pretty easy to work with.

Back
Top Bottom