New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:
So the box was beat to hell buddy. I don't know if i got to him in time.

I'M JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!! The packaging was great and he's doing awesome! :) he's even showing some color already!

He's acclimating right now so i'll try to get a picture of him as soon as he's in the main tank :)

Oh my god Sky, don't do that!!!! I saw the little post preview thing before you click the post, and all it said was "So the box was beat to hell buddy. I don't know if i got to him in time." lol you scared me. Phew.

Can't wait to see some pics :)

George9 said:
Oh my god Sky, don't do that!!!! I saw the little post preview thing before you click the post, and all it said was "So the box was beat to hell buddy. I don't know if i got to him in time." lol you scared me. Phew.

Can't wait to see some pics :)

LOL sorry man, i couldn't resist :)

he's an awesome little dude :)

Here is a couple of pics of the new guys :). The Angel acclimated incredibly fast!

image-3204320828.jpg

image-2810942233.jpg

George9 said:
Aw, he looks great! He should become even bluer too :) Gbr looks fantastic as well!

Its weird seeing him(or she) in a new tank hundreds of miles away. Its so cool :)

It is cool :). Its crazy to think he came from so far away just 2 days ago.

The Angel and GBR are swimming together lol

skywhitney said:
It is cool :). Its crazy to think he came from so far away just 2 days ago.

The Angel and GBR are swimming together lol

Aw how cute :) I'm glad theyre getting along

Yes sir :)

Lucky and the GBR are spending a lot of their time together actually. Its pretty cool to see :)

skywhitney said:
Yes sir :)

Lucky and the GBR are spending a lot of their time together actually. Its pretty cool to see :)

Haha thats cool :) the gbr must be pretty mellow. Mine used to go after lucky lol. It will be cool seeing the little angel grow Into a huge monster of a fish in months :)

George9 said:
Haha thats cool :) the gbr must be pretty mellow. Mine used to go after lucky lol. It will be cool seeing the little angel grow Into a huge monster of a fish in months :)

Lol it will be cool. He's been flashing his colors more this weekend which i'm thinking is a good sign

skywhitney said:
Lol it will be cool. He's been flashing his colors more this weekend which i'm thinking is a good sign

Awesome :) I read Part of that sentence "he's been flashing" lol and I was just thinking...crap. Then I saw the color part haha

When he goes under the light, you can really see it :)

George9 said:
Awesome :) I read Part of that sentence "he's been flashing" lol and I was just thinking...crap. Then I saw the color part haha

When he goes under the light, you can really see it :)

Yeah, i love the blue on top of his head and on his dorsal fin

I think i might have figured out a piece of my algae puzzle. I'vebeen dosing EI for the 60-80g tanks but i don't think i have enough plant mass right now so the algae is consuming the nutrients left over. This is just my guess but i backed off on my ferts a week ago and the algae seems to be dieing slowly but surely.

Update time.

Animals:
Three changes in the fish stock recently.
- I got rid od the ABN (he was beating the hell out of my clown pleco)
- Added 1 female GBR
- Added one Blue Angel (Thanks again George!!)
- Thinking off adding ~5 Oto Catfish to the tank (really torn on this one)

I'm not seeing any compatibility issues at all anymore, its great :)

Plants:
Here are where some changes are happening right now!
- Removed 90% of the Dwarf Sag
- Rearranged the plant layout
- Added some Hemianthus Micranthemoides (ground cover plant)
- Added some Limnophila Sessiflora
- Added Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum' (currently converting from emersed to submerged)
- Found an unknown moss growing on the stump
- Ordered Rotala Macrandra 'Japan Red' (delivered next week)
- Ordered Limnophila Aromatica (hopefully delivered next week as well)

- I'm finally seeing my Java ferns starting to grow
- The L. Glandulosa is starting to grow as well

Misc:
- The flow in the tank is still sub-par IMO so i will be adding another powerhead to the bottom half. I'm trying to decide whether i should use an oscilating or regular mounted unit. I could use opinions on this one.
- i'm still debating whether or not to upgrade to the Fluval FX5 for more filtration.

image-4080184586.jpg

image-1933181305.jpg

image-1175131517.jpg

image-335977892.jpg

image-1773996872.jpg

Edit: the tank shot make is look a LOT darker than it really is. It's very bright in person.

Last edited:
You've had tons of growth since the last update!! Looks amazing :)

I wouldn't upgrade the filtration, you have a 406, right? I'd say that's fine. With an fx5, you might have too much flow, isnt that rated for 400 g tanks?

George9 said:
You've had tons of growth since the last update!! Looks amazing :)

I wouldn't upgrade the filtration, you have a 406, right? I'd say that's fine. With an fx5, you might have too much flow, isnt that rated for 400 g tanks?

Thanks! There has been a lot of growth, the Rotundifolia has probably doubled in size. :)

These are the specs that come from Fluvals FX5 white sheet.

Aquarium Capacity: 400 gallons 1,500 liters
Pump Output: 925 gallons/hour
Mechanical Area (Foam): 325.5 in.2 2,100 cm2
Biological Volume: 1.5 gallons, 5.9 L
Filtration Volume: 5.28 gallons, 20 L
Filter Circulation*: 563 gallons/hour
Head Height (max.): 10.8ft
Wattages 120V/60Hz: 50W
Wattages 230-240V/50Hz: 48W
*Note: Flow rates were measured with intake and output hoses of the same length and without media.

I don't know, I've been torn on this for quite a while.

Last edited:
Thanks! There has been a lot of growth, the Rotundifolia has probably doubled in size. :)

These are the specs that come from Fluvals FX5 white sheet.

Aquarium Capacity: 400 gallons 1,500 liters
Pump Output: 925 gallons/hour
Mechanical Area (Foam): 325.5 in.2 2,100 cm2
Biological Volume: 1.5 gallons, 5.9 L
Filtration Volume: 5.28 gallons, 20 L
Filter Circulation*: 563 gallons/hour
Head Height (max.): 10.8ft
Wattages 120V/60Hz: 50W
Wattages 230-240V/50Hz: 48W
*Note: Flow rates were measured with intake and output hoses of the same length and without media.

I don't know, I've been torn on this for quite a while.

I dunno, it seems like overkill to me. You could use that $200 or whatever it costs on plants, or fish or somethin. The ottos seem like a good idea :)

Back
Top Bottom