New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
absolutangel04 said:
Angels should be fine with any tetra that reaches about 2 inches.

Then I definitely look into them more.
I just got done putting the clown into my qt cause he has ich now. Ugh!!! I hate this freaking parasite!!

Java ferns
Bolbitis heudelotii
Anubias
Riccia
Hygrophila pinnatifida

I've even heard of glossos being successfully attached to DW.

So today I got some Anubias and Wisteria. When I looked up Anubias on the computer I wasn't super excited by it but once I saw it in a tank it looks awesome! I can't wait to put it in my tank!

nice grab! Are you planning on attaching both to the dw?

As I read your thread I stare at my barren dw with jealousy..

Donkey Gun said:
nice grab! Are you planning on attaching both to the dw?

As I read your thread I stare at my barren dw with jealousy..

Well the wisteria needs to be planted and i really like the look of the anubias free floating (it has an awesome rhizome & root structure) so i dont know. I may put my java moss on the dw.

Donkey Gun said:
I believe wisteria will also root into dw. you could do a moss/wisteria combo.

I may give that a shot :) that could be a cool combo.

Since the tank is cycling right now should i dose a little heavier on the ferts for the plants?

I dont think you should.
Alright, so my amazon sword seems to be growing but the new leaves are coming out brown (almost dead/burnt looking) but then turning green. Is this due to a deficiency?

On a side note i have a quad T5HO fixture on my tank (24" inches tall tank, fixture is sitting 4" above the tank). I removed one of the lights last night and my plants seem to be happier overall but the new leaves shouldn't be growning in brown should they?

skywhitney said:
Alright, so my amazon sword seems to be growing but the new leaves are coming out brown (almost dead/burnt looking) but then turning green. Is this due to a deficiency?

On a side note i have a quad T5HO fixture on my tank (24" inches tall tank, fixture is sitting 4" above the tank). I removed one of the lights last night and my plants seem to be happier overall but the new leaves shouldn't be growning in brown should they?

Yeah, They should be growing in green. Do you have root tabs in the substrate? Swords are big root feeders.

Yeah, They should be growing in green. Do you have root tabs in the substrate? Swords are big root feeders.

I have a root tab for each. I think I figured out the problem...it was my lighting. I had a quad T5HO on the tank and it was like having the sun encased in my living room :cool: lol. Last night I removed one of the Actinic bulbs from the set and with only running the 3 lights the leaves are starting to look a normal healthy green! I also dosed some Flourish last night so that might have helped as well.

I am starting to see growth on all of my dwarf sag and my Java Ferns are all growing little "fernlets" so I'm hoping that I'm on the right track now!

Edit: Right now the tank is running at 84 degrees due to a treatment for Ich, so would the elevated heat cause some of my problems as well?

Last edited:
I did a little rescaping last night and added the Wisteria and Anubias to the tank. The dwarf Sag is starting to thicken a little and my swords are starting to perk back up to normal.

Right now I just have the Anubias weighted down so it won't roll all over the tank but I'm still not to sure on where to put it, Any ideas?

Last edited:
Your tank looks really nice! Why not put the anubias on the driftwood or something?

George9 said:
Your tank looks really nice! Why not put the anubias on the driftwood or something?

Hey thanks! I planted the Anubias at the base of the dw basically where it was. I angled the rhisome so that hopefully it will grow up the stump (thats the hope but who knows). Now to just let the plants fill in!

Hey thanks! I planted the Anubias at the base of the dw basically where it was. I angled the rhisome so that hopefully it will grow up the stump (thats the hope but who knows). Now to just let the plants fill in!

Good idea! I can't wait to see how it all grows in! I can't remember, are you cycling yet, or do you have seeded media?

George9 said:
Good idea! I can't wait to see how it all grows in! I can't remember, are you cycling yet, or do you have seeded media?

I had some seeded material but im waiting to put anything in the tank for a little while just to make sure everything is good (and i was dealing with Ich on my school of neons and my clown pleco). :)

skywhitney said:
I had some seeded material but im waiting to put anything in the tank for a little while just to make sure everything is good (and i was dealing with Ich on my school of neons and my clown pleco). :)

Are you using some kind of source of ammonia so that your existing BB on the seeded material flourishes instead of just dying off?

Back
Top Bottom