New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:

I feel like its missing something on the right side....rock maybe?

Edit: not rock, maybe a different kind of plant or layout?

No I love it! It looks so natural the way it is!

George9 said:
No I love it! It looks so natural the way it is!

I'll give it some time for the Persicaria to recover and see if that makes a difference.

In the mean time i got a new tank!!

image-4234349991.jpg

LOL j/k!! Sorta...i actually have all my Platys in there

skywhitney said:
I'll give it some time for the Persicaria to recover and see if that makes a difference.

LOL j/k!!

Lol i did tbe same thing for a qt tank a couple years ago

George9 said:
Lol i did tbe same thing for a qt tank a couple years ago

Whatever works! :)

It actually works pretty well for plants so i might use it as another plant only setup and try to get it under the stand. I'm still trying to figure out if i want to add any of the Platys to the tank.

skywhitney said:

LOL j/k!! Sorta...i actually have all my Platys in there

OMG i was just thinking yesterday about doing this to grow extra plants and put it on my roof lol. Do you follow paducahfishfan on YouTube?

Tcal01 said:
OMG i was just thinking yesterday about doing this to grow extra plants and put it on my roof lol. Do you follow paducahfishfan on YouTube?

Lol never heard of them! I don't think i'd put it on my roof though ;-)

I moved the Platy to a spare tank i had laying around for the time being and Decided to use a smaller Rubbermaid type container for my emersed plants. The plants are now in the 40g stand and the platy are now very visible. I think i might keep another small tank going with inverts or something after the platy are gone...I wonder how many tanks i can fit into this room... lol

skywhitney said:
I moved the Platy to a spare tank i had laying around for the time being and Decided to use a smaller Rubbermaid type container for my emersed plants. The plants are now in the 40g stand and the platy are now very visible. I think i might keep another small tank going with inverts or something after the platy are gone...I wonder how many tanks i can fit into this room... lol

Hahaha stack them everywhere!! I forgot, does the new tank have co2?

And how is the plant recovering? The one you left on the counter i think

Hahaha stack them everywhere!! I forgot, does the new tank have co2?

And how is the plant recovering? The one you left on the counter i think

the new tank is CO2 and fert free, I wanted it as low key and easy as possible.

The emersed ones are doing great, the ones in the tank are starting to show some new growth but growing very slowly with the decreased light. I'm thinking about moving all of it to emersed growth for a while then i'll transition it back into the tank after the growth picks up again.

grr i just found a fair amount of bba on my sword. time to bust out the H2O2 :-/

lol you got it. I just did a straight H2O2 dip on some of the java ferns i have to kill the bba and then added the plants to the platy tank and they are going to town eating it all. eat it little fishies! EAT!!

skywhitney said:
lol you got it. I just did a straight H2O2 dip on some of the java ferns i have to kill the bba and then added the plants to the platy tank and they are going to town eating it all. eat it little fishies! EAT!!

Platies eat bba?

Apparently they do after it's dead or dying. There has been quite a bit on the ferns for a long time now but they only decided to eat it after I nuked it with the H2O2 soak.

I woke up this morning to some very clean java ferns lol

skywhitney said:
Apparently they do after it's dead or dying. There has been quite a bit on the ferns for a long time now but they only decided to eat it after I nuked it with the H2O2 soak.

I woke up this morning to some very clean java ferns lol

Haha awesome!! :)

Here's the tank as the a couple hours ago. I have since removed all but two stems of the Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum' due to it being quite dead (note the horrid brown color) and added the Koralia 425 under the spraybar. I installed the background on the tank tonight, It'll take a little getting used to but i like it :)

What do you guys think?

Edit: Here is how the tank looks now. I need to figure out what to do on the right side, its way to empty. Suggestions?

Attachments

• Tank 08-03-12.jpg
    Tank 08-03-12.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Tank 08-04-12.jpg
    Tank 08-04-12.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Some sort of cave on the right maybe?!? It looks amazing how it is though so you don't have to do much!!

I've been toying with the idea of adding stone so good call on pushing me that way. Now how to figure out how to make it look natural...Maybe try to find some larger river rock to use?

If I use rock should I put plants over there too? Maybe add a couple of small crypts? Move my Anubia over there? Should the plants be attached to the rock?

I just want to feel of this tank to be completely natural and feel similar to something you might actually see in nature. lol all of these questions for 10" of space :facepalm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom