New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I've been following this thread silently for awhile now and my only problem or maybe suggestion is to trim the amazon sword and move it to the left a little, kind of behind the driftwood coming over it? It just feels to symmetrical in the center. I think once you have a symmetrical feel it makes it really hard to picture the rest or decide what else it needs... That's just my opinion. Otherwise I've always loved your tank and that sword is freakin huge! Makes me scared of what mine will end up like! :)

So I've been following this thread silently for awhile now and my only problem or maybe suggestion is to trim the amazon sword and move it to the left a little, kind of behind the driftwood coming over it? It just feels to symmetrical in the center. I think once you have a symmetrical feel it makes it really hard to picture the rest or decide what else it needs... That's just my opinion. Otherwise I've always loved your tank and that sword is freakin huge! Makes me scared of what mine will end up like! :)

lol yeah and this is only half of what i had a couple months ago! It does need a good trim though, there are a bunch of leaves that need to come off. The sword is pretty angry will me after being moved twice in the last month.:whistle:

I can't really move anything behind the DW cause thats where my filter intake, heater, etc. are. I tried to keep them as hidden as possible. If i could i really like the suggestion!

I have put some plants around my rock stuff but I don't really think you will need to!! Maybe some small foreground like grass or such!!

Billbug68 said:

+1 on the trim. It will benefit growth. IMO you have two focal points, the sword and the dw. I think you should leave the dw where it is and put the sword behind it and add a few more large swords to the right of it. And then fill the left aide with water wisteria, ludwigia, rotala, or hygro or some other background plant. Then for midground, large rocks with anubias tied onto them

I agree with Bill, I would move the sword to one side or the other. I think the right side looks a bit bare because the sword slices the tank in half.
For an additional plant, what about wysteria or Brazilian pennywort? Those can be trimmed to stay short. Some red would make a nice addition as well, or a bit of Marsilea minuta carpeting if you wanted.

The other factor to this is that it is low light now. I took out the CO2, stopped the ferts, and left only one T5 bulb

skywhitney said:
The other factor to this is that it is low light now. I took out the CO2, stopped the ferts, and left only one T5 bulb

Well fire that tank back up and go high tech again! Haha

I really do think it would look great if you kept the left side densely planted with tall plants and the DW, then the right side can stay open for swim space, put some small crypts, rocks, anubias, and bam! Tank would look perfect. Could you move the filter stuff to the right side so you can move the sword over a bit to the left?

Well fire that tank back up and go high tech again! Haha

I really do think it would look great if you kept the left side densely planted with tall plants and the DW, then the right side can stay open for swim space, put some small crypts, rocks, anubias, and bam! Tank would look perfect. Could you move the filter stuff to the right side so you can move the sword over a bit to the left?

lol i've been tempted by i don't want to deal with all the work that goes along with it being high tech. Nice and easy is how i want it now :cool:

I can probably move it over to the left some (4-5") without having to move the filter intake. After a nice trim it would be a lot more manageable too. Currently some of the leaves are at about 26" tall! If i did that i could re position my Anubias and add a bunch of extra java fern that i have back to the right side. I also have some moss in there that i'm trying to get to spread so that would work too.

skywhitney said:
lol i've been tempted by i don't want to deal with all the work that goes along with it being high tech. Nice and easy is how i want it now :cool:

I can probably move it over to the left some (4-5") without having to move the filter intake. After a nice trim it would be a lot more manageable too. Currently some of the leaves are at about 26" tall! If i did that i could re position my Anubias and add a bunch of extra java fern that i have back to the right side. I also have some moss in there that i'm trying to get to spread so that would work too.

Sounds perfect! :)

changes made. The tank is cloudy as all get out so it'll be a little bit before pictures are up.

So here it is, the water is still pretty hazy. Let me know what you all think. I do need to find another light cause this one even with only one bulb is to powerful, I'm starting to get quite a bit of algae on the glass already. grr. I might have to pump some CO2 in until I get get a different light.

I was able to take my sword and cut it into two good sized plants so I now have 2 sword plants in the tank lol. Making the sword into two plants allowed me more flexibility in how I put them in the tank and allowed them to fit better in smaller areas.

I'm still looking for the "right" rock to put in the back right corner and have the moss grow up it. I think that will round out the scape.

Last edited:
Thank you all, I appreciate it :) I'll get some better pictures once the haze goes down.

Back
Top Bottom