New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok update time!

[*] I have started up some more CO2 in the tank since i ran out and algea took over
[*] I just got a 5lbs tank, Miluakee regulator/solenoid/drop counter, and controller set, just waiting for it to arrive! :)
[*] I'm back on schedule with the EI dosing (minus KNO3)
[*] I added 5 Black Neon Tetra (thinking of adding 5 more)
[*] I added 8 Ghost shrimp (two of which have died)
[*] I got some Hornwort which is in QT right now
[*] I have separated 8 Platy fry into the breeder net, but there are about 5-10 more in general population
[*] I plan on doing my first filter cleaning on sunday (wish me luck)

View attachment 82962
View attachment 82963

View attachment 82964
View attachment 82965

So the tank has been up and going for a while now, suggestions on anything I should change, add, remove, redo, etc??

You all have been a ton of help so far and i value your opinions and thought on how to make this a biological and visual success!

Last edited:
I wouldn;t change a thing. It looks awesome the way it is! Just let the plants grow out and see how it goes. In one of the picutres, I think I caught a glimpse of the black neon tetras, I love them! I should consider them for mine.

Good luck with the co2! Sounds like you're all set!
Edit- how long do you estimate a 5 lb tank will last you?

Good luck on the filter cleaning too! What kind of filter do you have again? If it's a canister and has a rubber band or gasket (I think they're called?) don't forget to grease it up, this prevents leaks and keeps the band in tip top shape :)

George9 said:
I wouldn;t change a thing. It looks awesome the way it is! Just let the plants grow out and see how it goes. In one of the picutres, I think I caught a glimpse of the black neon tetras, I love them! I should consider them for mine.

Good luck with the co2! Sounds like you're all set!
Edit- how long do you estimate a 5 lb tank will last you?

Good luck on the filter cleaning too! What kind of filter do you have again? If it's a canister and has a rubber band or gasket (I think they're called?) don't forget to grease it up, this prevents leaks and keeps the band in tip top shape :)

I was trying to get a pic of the Black Neons but they wont stay still lol. They're awesome guys so i'm thinking about getting another 5.

I don't know how long the tank will last but im hoping at least 3 weeks. I guess 'll find out though! :)

I'm using a Fluval 406, regular vaseline will work for the gasket right?

I was trying to get a pic of the Black Neons but they wont stay still lol. They're awesome guys so i'm thinking about getting another 5.

I don't know how long the tank will last but im hoping at least 3 weeks. I guess 'll find out though! :)

I'm using a Fluval 406, regular vaseline will work for the gasket right?

Yeah, thats what I use

So my filter maintenance tonight was successful! I pulled about 30-40 snails out of the canister though. I'm getting a little irratated about the population of invasive snails in there so i went on an hour long snail hunt and pulled out close to 100 total (including the ones from the filter). I did find that im also getting a small population of Ramshorn snails ( some of which have awesome color) so i'll have to keep a close eye on them.

I added some Hornwort, which is no longer in the tank due to the mess it made. I might stick with anacharis or something similar for a floating plant if i decide i need one.

I have managed to save 11 fry to date so once they get big enough i'm going to decide which ones i want to keep and i'll sell the other ones to my LFS.

Overall i have to say i'm quite happy with the tank right now :)

skywhitney said:
So my filter maintenance tonight was successful! I pulled about 30-40 snails out of the canister though. I'm getting a little irratated about the population of invasive snails in there so i went on an hour long snail hunt and pulled out close to 100 total (including the ones from the filter). I did find that im also getting a small population of Ramshorn snails ( some of which have awesome color) so i'll have to keep a close eye on them.

I added some Hornwort, which is no longer in the tank due to the mess it made. I might stick with anacharis or something similar for a floating plant if i decide i need one.

I have managed to save 11 fry to date so once they get big enough i'm going to decide which ones i want to keep and i'll sell the other ones to my LFS.

Overall i have to say i'm quite happy with the tank right now :)

Yay! Nice job with the fry! But the snails suck lol (literally, they suck on the glass haha)

George9 said:
Yay! Nice job with the fry! But the snails suck lol (literally, they suck on the glass haha)

They do suck! I have a little 2.5g dirt tank going so i've just been dropping all the snails into there and i have about 200+ In there now. I'm gonna give them all to my coworker for this barbs and read tail shark to munch on :)

A good method for gathering snails is a piece f lettuce rubber banded to a rock. Let it sit for a day or two, and then chuck it in the freezer, before the trash.

Tank looks great!! I'd agree to just let it sit for now and watch nature grow in!

great job! :)

Donkey Gun said:
A good method for gathering snails is a piece f lettuce rubber banded to a rock. Let it sit for a day or two, and then chuck it in the freezer, before the trash.

Tank looks great!! I'd agree to just let it sit for now and watch nature grow in!

great job! :)

Thanks :). I'm excited to see it filled in with more growth.

I'll try that with the snails, i've started just squishing the small ones i see.

alright...crazy idea here...I kinda want to change out my substrate for sand and dirt.... The only problem is that this would be a pretty major undertaking.

I need thoughts and ideas here! :)

skywhitney said:
alright...crazy idea here...I kinda want to change out my substrate for sand and dirt.... The only problem is that this would be a pretty major undertaking.

You're darn right it's a crazy idea! You'll have to take some of the water and all fish and decorations out, scoop out the sand, then add dirt. And of course, you fill it back up and add fish.

Why dirt and sand? Dirt is very very dirty and clouds the water forever, and when you stir up the substrate.

skywhitney said:

I wouldn't. You've put so much into the success of this tank it's not worth the stress of completely rebuilding. Besides, once all your plants grow in and the groundcover spreads, your substrate will be barely visible.

just enjoy your creation.

This is what happens when i have too much time to browse and research, i see something interesting and then i want a new project. You guys are right, i just need to enjoy what i've created and let it be :)

On the flip side of the coin i realized i have 3x 2.5g tanks i'm allowed to do whatever i want with so there is my project! ;-) probably better to do this on a much smaller tank first anyway!

Onto more relivant news...Tomorrow i'm going to go get the other 5 Black Neons to complete my school. I'm also going to try to get some more Ghost shrimp since the fry can easily escape from them so i'm not to worried about having them in the tank.

skywhitney said:
This is what happens when i have too much time to browse and research, i see something interesting and then i want a new project. You guys are right, i just need to enjoy what i've created and let it be :)

On the flip side of the coin i realized i have 3x 2.5g tanks i'm allowed to do whatever i want with so there is my project! ;-) probably better to do this on a much smaller tank first anyway!

Onto more relivant news...Tomorrow i'm going to go get the other 5 Black Neons to complete my school. I'm also going to try to get some more Ghost shrimp since the fry can easily escape from them so i'm not to worried about having them in the tank.
Haha your current tank is never enough in this hobby!

Love the black neons :) Dont get too carried away in the lfs lol

George9 said:
Haha your current tank is never enough in this hobby!

Love the black neons :) Dont get too carried away in the lfs lol

Lol luckily i've hit the point where i won't usually buy without quite a bit of research so i'm not too worried...but impulse buys can happen to the best of aquarists!

I just found out that all my fish LOVE crushed pond snails! Its a frenzy when i crush one, and rather entertaining i must say!

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
Lol luckily i've hit the point where i won't usually buy without quite a bit of research so i'm not too worried...but impulse buys can happen to the best of aquarists!

I just found out that all my fish LOVE crushed pond snails! Its a frenzy when i crush one, and rather entertaining i must say!

Awesome! I was going to suggest a puffer tank to get rid of all those nasty snails, but I guess you got that covered!

George9 said:
Awesome! I was going to suggest a puffer tank to get rid of all those nasty snails, but I guess you got that covered!

Lol the wife won't let me get anything else other than the tiny tanks going unless i need it as a QT temporarily. She let me get my big tank so i can abide by the rules for a while :)

Back
Top Bottom