new 75 gallon no idea what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terika

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just been given a 75 gallon glass tank, it will be a while before I am really ready to set it up since I still have to get everything for it and build a stand.

I keep seeing people say stuff about cycling with my smaller tanks I know I had to wait 1 day to a week ,after setting it up, before putting fish in. Is this what you mean by cycling? and how long should it take for a 75 gallon?

I wish I had a 75 gallon...

When I first started out I only waited one day after I set up my tank to put fish in it. I wouldn't recommend that. Were in SC are you? I'm in Charleston. I'll finish this post tomorrow morning I have to go.

Have you had fish before?

i would not put fish in right after you set it up...... btu i when it is set up and runnign all filters... cycle ...(read the article section on cycling a new tank) freshwater takes abotu 2-3 weeks to cycle i believe

second lance's question and also what kind of fish do you want, i reccomend a community tank that way you will have a vast array of fish to choose from and look at

Ok. After you read the stuff about cycling the tank, you need to have everything. I don't have a 75 gal. so if anyone has advice on a good filter for it plz post it. The hardest question that must be answered is: What kind of fish do you want to keep? After you answer that question, we can help you a little better. As mhaynes01 said a community tank would be a good choice. There are large numbers of very color fish to choose from, like tetras, danios, rasboras, and bottom feeders like cory cats and coolie loaches. Also with buying stuff you need test kits to keep your water conditions in check. Did the tank come with a lighting system? If it did we would need to know what type and how much lighting to help you choose plants if you want them (which I really recommend).

Basically we need to know what kind of fish you plan on keeping.

[center:c3a14f89db] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, terika! :n00b: [/center:c3a14f89db]
Starting a tank can be overwhelming, but we are here to help you through all the steps. Ask Qs as needed!

I know you're not at this point yet...but consider rainbow fish for your 75g tank...do some reading on them. They are beautiful fish...I don't have any yet, but hopefully will soon.

what kind of fish

The kind of fish is one thing I have to think about, it will be a while before I get it set up at all I don't have anything and looking at all the stands online and at the pets stores has convinced me that I need to build my own. That will be my first step. The tank was a gift from my dad, he said that he was also going to buy me the hood and gravel for the tank, but not until I was ready to set up.

I've been reading in the diy forum and have made up the plans for my stand, but I have to get my dad to help me with that too. I have no tools for furniture building, Luckily he does.

The most recent fish I've had was a couple of guppies in my two gallon tank that I had on my desk at work. I love those fish but I don't think they would be the right fish for my 75 gallon tank. When I was younger we had a 20 gallon tank and I can remember that we had a couple black mollys, a pleclostamis(sp), a couple neons and a dwarf frog. But one day while we were in school or at work the heater busted and all but the frog and the pleky died. I remember from then having to do chemical tests and that kind of thing, but like I said that was when I was a kid.

I was hoping to get some advice on equipment I will need and maybe some ideas about fish. I think I will have to buy my stuff a little at a time to get it set up since I have just recently changed jobs. It's nice to know though what I will need so that I can price the stuff and plan. By the time I have my tank running and ready for fish I plan to cross eyed from all the fish info I have been reading about.

Lance M. I'm in the columbia area by the way :)

Thank you guys for all the posts and ideas/advice :))

Equipment:
~dechlorinator
~liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, gh/kh (look for a Master kit)
~straight ammonia to do a fishless cycle with
~heater--I really like Ebo Jagers--250 watts is good, I don't believe a tank that size needs 5 wpg
~gravel vacuum
~python to help with water changes
~filter--go with a canister filter. I like Via Aquas for the price versus Fluvals. Fluvals are every where, but the VA has handles and the media baskets are easier to remove, other than that, they are the same. If you want to go higher end, look at filstars and (I'm drawing a blank :oops:) ??.
~thermometer

A good place to get deals is eBay.

As for the fish, you need to decide:
~Do you want aggressive or peaceful?
~Many fish or a stand-out-show-off?
~Tons of little fish?
~A biotope?
~Calm or wild with swimming frenzy?
~Lots of color?
~Planted or unplanted (real plants or fake)?

You get the idea! Look through members galleries and see what they are doing. Also, look at the LFSs and write down the fish you like. Once you start to compile a list, we can tell you if they are compatable.

Catfish are awesome. You should think about getting some. So many different kinds- peaceful ones, algae eaters, aggressive ones, and ones that eat smaller fish. They are cool. I have a spotted raphael catfish that will eat anything, a clown pleco, and a farlowella acus. The farlowella is an awesome fish, you should look into it.

When you choose your lighting think about what plants you are gonna keep.

Columbia is like an hour away :)

welcome to AA terika

i wish i had a 75 gal too, im curently considering making a 100 gal tank... i dream too much

Back
Top Bottom