New 75 gallon stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katrinag

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I started this hobby in April. I am upgrading to a 75 gal freshwater community tank from a 20 gal. I am so excited, I would like to do a larger school of the tetras. I would love an angelfish. The guppies are nice but all they do is chase each other and also chase the MM platy. I really love my ADF.I have the tank,stand and 100 lbs of ecocomplete. I plan to get a fluval 406, inline heater and will have low light plants, driftwood and some rocks. I currently have the following stock and would like to know any ideas on what to add or change.thank you

5 neon tetras
3 male guppies
1 male gourami
1 female platy
2 female ADF
1 Otto

If you have a 75 gallon i would suggest getting a chinese algae eater or a siamese algae eater, because first of all ottos like to be in groups and they stay small. Or you could get a big group of them because they would probably be the best community fish for the tetras, guppies, and platies.

If you have a 75 gallon i would suggest getting a chinese algae eater or a siamese algae eater, because first of all ottos like to be in groups and they stay small. Or you could get a big group of them because they would probably be the best community fish for the tetras, guppies, and platies.

While a couple siamese algae eaters would be a good addition a chinese algae eater is possibly one of the worst additions you could add to a community tank with small fish due to aggression. I would also add probably 3 or 4 more Oto cats. In a tank that size I would also increase the school of neon tetras to 10-15 just to give them a bit more of a presence.

Some other fish to look at:
Boesmani Rainbows - 5+
Pair of Angels (get them small so they are used to being around the neons)
Bristlenose Pleco
Cory Cats - 5+
Harlequin Rasboras 5+

I wouldn't add all of them but check the stocking levels out on AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor just to keep things in check :)

While a couple siamese algae eaters would be a good addition a chinese algae eater is possibly one of the worst additions you could add to a community tank with small fish due to aggression. I would also add probably 3 or 4 more Oto cats. In a tank that size I would also increase the school of neon tetras to 10-15 just to give them a bit more of a presence. Some other fish to look at: Boesmani Rainbows - 5+ Pair of Angels (get them small so they are used to being around the neons) Bristlenose Pleco Cory Cats - 5+ Harlequin Rasboras 5+ I wouldn't add all of them but check the stocking levels out on AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor just to keep things in check :)

Thank you, I figured I would add more ottos. I was thinking just to get 1 angel and to get it small and put it in last. Do you really think I need a pair?

In a tank that size I would get at least 10 neons and you could do even more. Same with Harlequin rasboras. Other fish that would work would be Threadfin Rainbowfish, Diamond or Lemon Tetra's, Hatchetfish, Cherry barbs, or Rummynose Tetra's.

Be careful with ADF's in a deep tank as they can have problems getting to the surface for air.

If your using Eco Complete your obviously going to plant the tank but what lighting are you going to use?

In a tank that size I would get at least 10 neons and you could do even more. Same with Harlequin rasboras. Other fish that would work would be Threadfin Rainbowfish, Diamond or Lemon Tetra's, Hatchetfish, Cherry barbs, or Rummynose Tetra's. Be careful with ADF's in a deep tank as they can have problems getting to the surface for air. If your using Eco Complete your obviously going to plant the tank but what lighting are you going to use?

Yes my tank will be 21" high so hoping that will work for my ADF's. I may scape the substrate on a slope to give them a few more inches. I do plan to plant low light plants at this point. I will have the Current led + for lighting. In ready others posts it should work. I currently have a couple low light plants in my 20 gal with led and they are doing well. It's been 5 months and I have gotten new growth etc. I have gravel and using flourish excel and root tabs . Thank you for the fish advice. I won't be actually starting the tank for 3 weeks so have some time to figure this all out. Any advice is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom