New 75g setup. Questions regarding fish.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bleemus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am planning a new 75 gallon planted tank and was thinking of the following combo.

2-3 male Apistos of same breed

3-5 female Apistos of same breed as above

small school of Cardinal Tetras

small school of hatchet fish

Can some Apisto and aquaria experts provide some feedback on whether this is a feasible setup?

Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Regards,
Bleemus

Very feasable. Perhaps even understocked. Just be prepared to provide plenty of hiding places or have an extra tank ready for when the apistos pair off.

I would attempt only 2 male apistos and 5 or 6 females. They are polygamous breeders and prefer a large assortment of females. Male aggression can become a problem. That is why i would go for 2 instead of 3 because the male thats stuck in the middle may not have much luck. Them dividing half the tank is probably the best bet and i don't think you want a middle man. But yeah it should work.

Thanks to all for the tips. I think I may move to just two males and a harem. I already have a "honeymoon" tank if some of the Apistos pair off. Once it is up and running I will post some photos!

Cheers

Are you going to have a sturdy hood? I'm sure you're aware of this, but Hatchets are notorious for jumping :-(. Sounds great, though!

Yeah, I know about Hatchet jumping! I used to breed Killifish but now that we are settled again the wife is saying no to all the little tanks. Insists on one big tank that all of us can enjoy. Of course I told her that we need a QT tank.......

Tee hee.

Back
Top Bottom