New 90 gallon tank- need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm picking the tank up today, I figure if it works, recycling is better than getting it new. I'm so excited! I've never had a tank of this size, just tens and twenties. I'm wanting to make it a well planted, low maintenece (if possible) tank, with fairly large schools of colorful fish (tetras, or rainbows perhaps). Since I don't have space for this tank in my apartment (unless I gave up the bed, don't think my hubby would go for that!), my dad is going to let me set it up in his office. He has mainly an elderly clientel, and I know they would love having a tank in the waiting room.

I was just wondering if there were any helpful hints or links that you could send my way.

Any advice on stocking the tank?

Also, some information about good types of lighting, filters, substrates, etc.

Also, would I need to do CO2, any input on fertilization?

I am wanting this to be as low of a maintence tank as possible, so low light right?

I know java moss and fern, but what other plants would work well in a low maintence tank?

Anything else I should know before I get started?

I'm also posting this thread in the planted discussion, because I need some advice!

TIA!!

Well, what kind of fish are you interested in? You really have tons of options for a tank that size, but if you are wanting a planted tank you probably won't want large cichlids as they will eat your plants. My severum thinks plants are a salad for him. :roll: A planted community tank would look sweet IMO. Sounds like you want to stick with low light plants, so you will not need CO2. Java fern looks great when it is attached to driftwood, and anubias will do fine in low light. For a tank that large you will probably want a canister filter, maybe 1 on each side depending on flow rate. I don't use them (yet) but I've heard great things about Fluvals, Rena Filstar, and of course Eheim. You will save tons of cash by ordering online.

hornworts are great plants that grow very rapidly, need low light levels, minimal maintainance and are also very beatiful.

also, fish do not really like to feed on hornworts form what i can say.

Lighting for a planted tank is a major concern. If you want low-light, low-maintenance plants, you will need at least 1wpg. On a 90 gallon tank, you need at least 90 watts of light. Since standard light hoods are not equipped with this level of wattage, you will probably need to try CF or, if you feel up to it, Overdriving Normal Output Flourescents (ODNO for short). This just involves connecting your standard flourescents, connecting them in a series to a single ballast to increase the wattage.

Once you go over 2wpg, you are in CO2 injection territory. There is a lot of info on this here at AA and the web.

Check here for the best information on all your plant needs.

For ideas on stocking, take a look at my pic clickys in my sig.

HTH.

My thoughs on the final stocking of fish were:

Three large groups of tetras of ~8-10 tetras ( maybe cardinal, black, and lemon )
A group of ~6 cories
a pleco like a leopard frog pleco ( or will they munch on my plants, I think they're supposed to be more carnivorus)
Some small rams, like the german blue (kind of new to me, I was thinking 4, should there be enough room in the tank for 4?)
And perhaps a pair of gourami

I personally use the Fluval 404 which is a great canister.

Visi-therms are really good (recommend at least two 300w)

As for stocking, take a look at the tetras, rams, corys, pleco and angel pics in my sig. I have a 75 gal which houses all of these.

You can take a look at the tank pics, which has a pic of some of my equipment as well.

I'm going to have to butt in here and disagree about the low light plants. My 29 gallon has less than 1 wpg with the stock light strip but all my plants look great (anubias, java fern, and even 2 swords that I don't know the names of). However... that said, the stock light that would come with a 90 gallon would probably provide much less in the way of wpg than the light for a 29 gallon, so you will probably want to replace the lighting. For my 20 gallon I bought the Current USA Satellite strip with led moonlight and it's awesome. I got the cheaper one, not the fan-cooled one, and I still love it. Here's a link to the different sizes: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog...16;page=3;sort=;pcid1=1843;pcid2=;breadcrumb=
If you want one of these, be advised that the bulbs included will be 50/50 10000K and actinic, so if you want your plants to be able to utilize all that light you will need to replace the bulbs.
BTW I've heard EXCELLENT things about the filter you picked out, :mrgreen: but if you want to save money a Fluval or Rena Filstar would be great too.

The filter that you linked is great but is overpriced as said before..
You seem to have selected low light plants so yes they would be ok with low light and no CO2 I would recomend upgrading your lighting to at least 1 to 1.5wpg for best results though.. you could do up to medium light plants w/o CO2 with 2wpg though.

Check out the Jebo 828/Odyssey filter at www.thefishfactorywi.com It worked great on my 90 gal. As far as heaters go, i'd go with a Won Bros. 350 watt Pro Heat II. Yes, they're worth the extra money! I have only one in my 90 gal tank and the temp never varies more than degree or less.

Back
Top Bottom