New 90 gallon tank unsure what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshnoob1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a 27 gallon freshwater tank for about a month and a half. I've enjoyed it a lot, but decided I want a bigger aquarium so last week I bought a 90 gallon tank no overflow or anything. I plan on doing freshwater. I want to start getting it running but I'm not totally sure what to do. A couple main things I was wondering:
1. Filter- would 2 penguin biowheel 350s work? If not what should I do?
2. Substrate- I've read that sand works really well, just wasn't sure
3. Plants- how hard would it be/cost to keep up a fully planted 90 gallon tank or should I just use fake plants?:thanks:

Last edited:
Freshnoob1 said:
I've had a 27 gallon freshwater tank for about a month and a half. I've enjoyed it a lot, but decided I want a bigger aquarium so last week I bought a 90 gallon tank no overflow or anything. I plan on doing freshwater. I want to start getting it running but I'm not totally sure what to do. A couple main things I was wondering:
3. Plants- how hard would it be/cost to keep up a fully planted 90 gallon tank or should I just use fake plants?:thanks:

Welcome to the site :). Personally I've always been a fan of Canister filters made by Fluval and Eheim. They're worth looking into for a tank your size. They provide a great stable bio-filter and enable lots of customization for the media you choose.

I've never used sand substrate, but have always heard good things...lots of people use pool filter sand. It's really a personal preference on what you like the look of.

As for plants, most of us start with fake plants and quickly choose to make the change once the tank is up and running. So it may be a good idea to start with real plants to begin with. I'd look at your lighting and choose plants accordingly.

One thing I would HIGHLY recommend is taking a look at the article in my signature to learn about fishless cycling to prepare your new tank. Having an existing tank will help tremendously since you will have seeding material.

Again, welcome to the site, and ask me any questions you come up with about fishless cycling!

Freshnoob1 said:

Hi & welcome to AA!

With a 90 gallon tank, you've got a great deal of scope with regards to stocking. Think it'd go through my floor :)

I would thoroughly recommend the Fluval canister filters. I run a 305 & find it really easy to maintain & flexible with regards to tweaking the media to suit your requirements.

I would also advise you to take a look at Eco23's link to fishless cycling. It/he helped me out no end during my recent set up. He's a real font of knowledge when it comes to all things cycling!

Hope your set up goes well :)

Thanks, the fishless cycling page is great!
Also does the canister filter require a bed under the substrate or can it use a strainer that sits midway down the back? and wouldnt i need around 500 gph of filtration?
I've already got 3 balas, a 5inch chinese algae eater, pleco, and 2 kuhlis that i plan on changing into the 90 gal once its running. Im also looking at clown loaches, frontosas, hatchets and corys.
So plants will work fine in sand?
Do you have any recommendations on lighting?

Freshnoob1 said:
Thanks, the fishless cycling page is great!
Also does the canister filter require a bed under the substrate or can it use a strainer that sits midway down the back? and wouldnt i need around 500 gph of filtration?
I've already got 3 balas, a 5inch chinese algae eater, pleco, and 2 kuhlis that i plan on changing into the 90 gal once its running. Im also looking at clown loaches, frontosas, hatchets and corys.
So plants will work fine in sand?
Do you have any recommendations on lighting?

Glad you liked the article :). I'll have to defer to other members on the filtration and planting questions. I have a Fluval 405 which is rated for 100 gallons, but it is not sufficient for a 90 gallon. I believe the rule is to get filtration rated for double the volume of the tank. The Fluval fx5 is what I hear lots of people mention for larger tanks. I'm not sure if you're talking about under gravel filters...but canister filters simply have an input and an output nozzle in the tank...nothing under the substrate.

I have upgraded lighting and plants...but there are members far superior in planted tanks than I am.

Last edited:
The fluval looks great, but a little small.. is there anything else i can do for filtration in the ballpark of $100? Even a fairly complicated DIY for $100 would be cool. Im pretty tight for money right now... :p

I think the Fuval fx5 is rated up to 400 gallons. You can pick one up for around $215 online...cheaper than doing duel filters in most cases. From everything I've heard they perform fantastically.

I know it's a bit more than you want to spend...but I think you're gonna have a heck of a time finding a suitable filter for a 90 gallon for $100.

Last edited:
If you are going with sand, you cant use an undergravel filter. The sand is too fine. Undergravel filters are not that effective anyway. Waste of money IMO.

Oh right, I think im actually going to go with the plant substrate you can get from petco. and yeah i gues the UGFs are a big pain to clean and whatnot..

Freshnoob1 said:
Oh right, I think im actually going to go with the plant substrate you can get from petco. and yeah i gues the UGFs are a big pain to clean and whatnot..

Not sure how well it would work to have an UGF with plants and any kind of plant substrate since the mechanics of a UGF is to pull detritus/gunk out of the tank in to the chamber below. Like sand, I'd think you'd just suck the dirt into the UGF too.

An fx5 by itself should be more than enough filtration for your 90g IMO. PFS works great for a plant substrate and won't cost you an arm and a leg like some of the dirt out there. Lighting for that big of a tank will though and you'll most likely want to check out co2 as well.

Happy planting and pics are great :D.

Back
Top Bottom