New and willing to learn, Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRT843

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, so I will start by saying I am an avid pet lover and at school my teacher was allowing students to take home fish from her fish tank because she had too many to keep, so naturally I took two home. I am now very upset because I don't have a tank yet and have kept these two fish in a bowl and I fear that they will die and I do NOT want that to happen. I believe that these are mollies due to their bright coloration and elegant tails. I have them in a gallon bowl and have their appropriate food and I am working on getting them a tank this weekend. I am probably getting a 20-29 gallon tank because I am hoping to start a fish tank with other fish soon, but I know I need to cycle the tank but I don't want these little guys to die before then. I have been using a syringe to break the water surface every so often as a way to try and oxygenate the water myself and so far the fish are doing fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I hope that I won't be shunned for not having a tank yet or anything. I have read through the fish-in cycling method and would love if someone could mentor me through the process.

Hi, welcome! We all start somewhere and we all make mistakes, no judgement here. I met my favorite fish by getting them for a tank that was a quarter of the size it needed to be! The important thing is you're willing to learn. So with that in mind, I've got some questions and suggestions.

You think these fish are mollies; do you have pictures? There's a couple of similar looking fish in the same group as them. Which one it is makes a big difference how big a tank you'll need!

Instead of a syringe, I recommend picking up an air pump and a sponge filter. You should be able to swing this for around $20-$30. You put the air pump into the sponge filter to make it work. It'll oxygenate and filter the bowl and get the cycling process started.

Do you have any other sort of container you could use? I breed fish and I actually use partially-filler rubbermaid tubs as tanks for the baby fish. You can get these cheaper than a tank and just don't fill them too full or they'll bust. You could also get a 5 gallon bucket for a few dollars at home depot. You'll need a bucket for keeping a normal fish tank anyway, so this is a good option. Anything is better than a bowl, really.

Finally, I recommend picking up an API freshwater master test kit. It's a very important fishkeeping tool.

Welcome to AA and to the fishkeeping hobby!

I have rubber maid containers like for left over food as well bigger ones for packing/ moving size that I could use. I am heading to petsmart now to get a tank so if you could please tell me what you recommend I get in order to help these fish survive. I was gonna get a 20g or 29g tank set that has the filter and heater etc.

Attachments

• fishy fishy.jpg
    fishy fishy.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 94
So those fish are guppies, not mollies!

I recommend the biggest tank you can afford. I like the 29 gallon kit- I actually have it. I still have all of the equipment that came with the kit in use somewhere (The filter is on another tank, the heater is on another tank, but the hood and tank are still together). Guppies can go in tanks as small as 10 gallons but in a 10 gallon you'd be very limited in what else you can put with them.

Aside from the kit I would get some substrate- gravel or sand. And then get some decorations so the fish have places to hide and feel comfortable. With the kit it's best to get fake plants since it's a weak light, and then some rocks, caves, etc.

You'll also need a water conditioner- Seachem Prime is the best kind. And an API freshwater master test kit. And don't forget a fish net.

Finally you'll need a bucket and a gravel vacuum or siphon tube.

Also those are both male guppies you can tell the difference between male and female by looking at the fins on bottom. The males with have two regular fins and a spike like appendage which is his "manhood" the females with have those same two smaller bottom fins along with a larger triangle shaped one in the middle

Also male guppies tend to be the more colorful of the two

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Always seek advice here before making any major changes to your tank. Lot of good and knowledgeable people on this forum. Never listen to advice from the pet store!

Hello and welcome. I agree with everything they have said but do NOT forget the water changes. In my opinion a gallon a day keeps the major one away, but a major change can help with sick fish or if nitrate and ammonia levels build up too much. Also any ideas on other fish once you get a tank set up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got my water tested and so far everything seems to be going good now. One of the guppies died, but the water got tested and the pH was a little high but I was able to balance it out. I definitely want to get some neon tetras in the near future.

Hold on a sec. Don't screw with your pH! Freshwater fish are very adaptable to a variety of conditions. What they like least is CHANGE! You'll do more harm trying to "perfect" your pH than just acclimating your fish to it.You don't need any chemicals for that. Remember what we said about listening to the pet store... They make money whether or not your fish die, and more money if you think you need to "fix" something, so they don't have to give you good advice- just advice to buy stuff.

I recommend buying your own test kit too. You need to test the water a lot more than you need to go to the fish store :lol:

^^^ +1 ^^^

A high pH is okay. If pH is too low there is natural remedies that can slowly and smoothly buffer it up.

Don't ever use pH changing chemicals.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom