New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking of buying an aquarium from walmart. It is a AquaCulture 29-Gallon Deluxe Aquarium Kit. It costs $94.88 and comes with the following:

Deluxe full fluorescent hood with 20-watt fluorescent bulb
20/40 power filter
Digital thermometer
100-watt U/L heater
Net
Trial-size fish food and water conditioner
Fish guide

I was wondering if the heater, filter and light were all ok for a 29-gallon tank, or if they were under-powered?

My boyfriend bought the same kit.. some pros and cons:

Everything works... the filter parts/bags have to be replaced more often.. but the filter does indded work. However, you prolly wanna upgrade at some point

The heater, expect it to not work, or not work well. But heaters for a 29gal aren't that expensive

Everything else about it is great for the price... i would say go for it

By comparison, I bought a 55g All Glass tank and stand at Petland Discounts for $90

JMO but when you buy tanks packaged out like that you're getting equipment that is mostly junk, and probably need to be upgraded at some point in the future. Although it will cost more up front, you'll end up saving money in the long run by purchasing the tank and stand alone, and then buying the accessories individually. :wink:

BTW, you'll need a 150 watt heater for a 29g.

I got that same Wal-Mart package as a Christmas present in 2001. It is a good first aquarium but I have since upgraded the filter by adding a BIO-Wheel (the filter in the kit is basically a Penguin 170) and replaced the heater with two fully submersible, digital 100 watt Tronic heaters. I would recommend getting the kit as long as you understand that it has limitations. The lighting is definitely inadequate for any but the least demanding plants (i.e. Anubias, African fern, Java Fern, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom